Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zombie's got a plan....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZJZombie, Jul 17, 2002.

1. ZJZombie

ZJZombie Newbie

Zombie\'s got a plan....

I'll take this thread to intorduce myself. I am Zombie, and I am a 4x4-aholic... I live in SLC, and there is plenty of wheeling within acceptable drive times. Now, heres my plan.
    I have a 73 Dodge ram, with a chevy sb400 and th400 trans in it. It also has a NP 205 transfer case. it was a rust bucket when I bought it, but parts of te rust problem have been removed. I removed the bed all together, and initially planned to flat bed it, and cut the frame off right behind the spring hangers. I also cut the roof off the cab, and removed the upper door frames. I was planning on opening up the front fenders, and cutting the rockers out to run 39"s on 4"s of lift.
    Plans have a way of changing, and I'll share the latest. I'm going to start into removing the rest of the body this weekend. Then the powertrain will come out. Exactly what happens to the frame has yet to be decided, that will depend on the final body design that I decide on. I am thinking it will be a single seater, similar to the Avalanche Assasin. As far as the powertrain goes.. I'll be letting go of the TH400 to one of my Corvette buddys for a rebuilt th700r4. I want the lower first gear, and he wants a stronger tranny for the big block that he has planned. After the trans, I hope to slap in a Klune V david unit 4.7:1 reduction. After that I'll be trading one of the 205's I have in the backyard for a 203, and running the ORD doubler kit. From there, it will either end up in a D60/D70 combo... Rockwell 2.5 tons or Unimog portals (if I can find em). I'ts going to be a long hard road out of hell to get this thing on the trail, but it should be worth it when I start taking trophies. I have always wanted to be compedative, but now I have a solid plan to make it happen.
    I havent picked out suspension yet, but give the way that area has been advancing in recent years, I'll wait and see what cool new stuff happens next.

I have owned 3 K5 blazers, and I know what those rigs can do. You guys seem like a great crew, I welcome any advice and any companies that want t sponsor my dodge /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Re: Zombie\'s got a plan....

Welcome, glad you found us. Sounds like you have rpetty ambitious plans for your truck, RIGHT ON!!!

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a killer plan. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

One question, why bother keeping the frame at this point?

And welcome to CK5. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Dual Doublers right? Klune along with an ORD Doubler! That's one real low gear ratio in the end!? Why so low? Why not run a 203 ORD Doubler into an Atlas II Transfer! That would give you 8.6 to 1 righ there! It's about the same cost wise of the Klune and you don't have to mess with their adapters! $$$$

Just my $.02
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dual doublers and super low geared axles,
    3.06 x 4.7 x 2 x 1.96 x 6.72 or 7.?? = way to low to be useful

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking, but he'll definately be able to clim a cliff, IN TWO YEARS!!! Hey, I once had a dream like that, then I looked at my wallet and said, "UH Helo?!!?".... "Hello Hello Hello.." It said Back!

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. ZJZombie

ZJZombie Newbie

Batmanjr...I had not even looked at the cost of an Atlas2 compared to the klune. I guess I just figured that the klune would be cheaper. Now that I think of it, I know a guy who does R&D work for Advanced Adapters, so I might be able to weasle a buddy deal. MJ, the main reason I was going with the multi case setup is so that I'll have plenty of gears to choose from. For all intents and purposes, that would be too low to be practical, but not too low to be usefull. Remember that this monstrosity is going to be strapped to a trailer and towed to the trail. Even with 39's on it, it still wont do much over 45 mph, and thats most likley with a 700R4 tranny. I havent done the math yet, but I know even with everything in high, thos rockwells are still geared too low for street use. Thats ok... this thing is being built to get me ANYWHERE I want to go... mabey not today, but I'll get there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

hey Zombie, where you at I'm in slc also. BTW ambition rules /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif