Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zoo display planned for my house... =)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Mar 3, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I was driving home today, and I was thinking about how much money I spend on building and subsequently rebuilding enclosures for each of my dragons, and a thought came into my mind. Why don't you build a full room enclosure for all the reptiles? So I continued thinking about how it could be done so as to provide all the animals with proper husbandry needs, and I came up with this as an answer. This enclosure will house at most 6 adult Bearded Dragons, up to 80 hatchlings and juvenile Bearded Dragons and hopefully 2 Spotted Turtles...

The room is approximately 10' wide x 12' long x 8' high. I would be using steel shelves from Home Depot to build a raised frame that would reach about desktop/countertop height. I have a bunch of beardies and a turtle to house in this thing, so I needed to devise a way to include a water area at least 6", but not more than 10" deep, as my turtle isn't a very good swimmer, but needs to live in water none-the-less. By placing 2 of the steel frames side by side and welding them together, I could effectively build a small - 200 gallon - pond into the whole deal. The shelving would be arranged somewhat like a model train board, with a path winding throughout the room, but all shelves connected in some way. The lower parts of the shelves would be used for equipment storage, a built-in incubator, and brooding tanks for the little ones that will inevitably come my way.

For little ones that don't need to be in a secluded enclosure, an area of the room enclosure would be "off-limits" to the larger animals for the protection of the kids. I imagine this area to be about 2 x 6 feet, and be separated by a piece of black plexiglas to eliminate as much stress as possible from seeing bigger dragons and a turtle. The turtle would have free reign of the enclosure otherwise, as would the adult dragons who would be housed there. The substrate would be about 10" deep, supported by plywood, and the walls of the whole thing would be Plexiglas with no top.

Basking and UVB lights would hang from the drop ceiling behind natural looking decoration, and the walking area (the side you look at) would be done up in a complete floor to top-of-plywood rock wall. The walls of the room would continue the rock wall, and there would be climbing areas abound. 75% of the floor area would be sand, while the other 25% of floor area would be sparcely planted grasses and clover. There would be at least one Jade tree (which I already have growing for this purpose) and the pond would be decorated with Water Lillies and cat tails. There would also be an area for deep digging, and the sand area would be "glued" to create a matrix for tunnel and den digging.

Obvious attention to detail and safety would be addressed, like making sure everyone who goes for a swim can get out with little effort. Dividers would be able to be placed at strategic places around the enclosure for quarantine, egg laying, and just plain separating the animals if need be, but no tops would be used on any part of the enclosure, allowing a great top-down view of the whole thing if you are more than 5 feet tall.

I estimate the total cost of shelving systems, pond liner and filtration system, sand, plants, lighting, and materials to "finish" the project to be just about $1000.00. Considering I spend about $250.00 each time I build an enclosure, and I've built a few, this seems a very cost effective way to get everyone living safely together.

I know someone is going to have some sort of objection to housing multiple dragons together, and more importantly to housing multiple species together, but rest assured, the design would allow for all the animals to be in their own section divided by black plexiglas doors to eliminate stress.

I'm interested in what you guys think of a project like this... I know it's not really "on par" for the site, but it's important to me either way. Of course, with an undertaking like this, I'd appreciate any support you guys can give... I wouldn't dare come straight out and ask for a monetary donation, but if anyone is in the area when I start the project and feels like getting full of plaster, grout, and Driv-it, you are more than welcome to come over and join me. =)

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I think it would be cool but smell with all the heat that would be in there. You would need some kind of air fiilter system. what about doing a false floor so you can walk over it. or build a cage and put the kids in:D j/k
    sounds cool though

3. PhoenixZorn

The room would have its own air filtration system... and the animals are all currently in there now and it doesn't stink... the only part that would be wet would be the pond, the rest would get misted daily and dries quickly...

4. PhoenixZorn

What, no interest??