Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ZZ4 Roller Cam vs. Comp 4x4 non-roller Cam HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nitrodrip350, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

This is the dilemma; I finally bought a house to get a garage to do my build up on my ZZ block that I bought a WHILE back! Well The ZZ block is a roller motor but I don't have the Cam/Lifters for it so I can do this a couple ways but really don't know much about reading cams. So here goes *deep breath*

1. Keep the Comp 4x4 Cam non-roller that only has about 250 miles:

Specifications:
    * Advertised duration: 262 intake/270 exhaust
    * Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 218 intake/226 exhaust
    * Gross valve lift: .462 in. intake/.480 in. exhaust
    * Lobe separation: 111 degrees
    * RPM range: 1,300-5,600
    * Excellent response, good mid range, noticeable idle
    Cam on Summit

#2 Go with the ZZ4 Cam that is a roller:

Duration @ 0.050"
    Lift: 208/221 Lift: .474"/.510"
    Lobe Separation: 112
    Type: Hydraulic roller tappet 5.7L HO 350
    ZZ4 Cam

I have some new 70 something Z28 2.02 heads that have been rebuilt a while ago same 250 miles on them as well but they are the 76CC types.

So I have two ways to go either pay for the roller parts with lifters and cam (already have Comp Gold Rockers) and find some Vortec Heads or put my slightly used parts in the same block and keep the Z28 Heads and 4x4 Comp Cam /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also can non-roller internals (lifters,cam, etc.) be put in a original Roller Motor?

I really want a good low end torque range since it will mainly be off-road, also the rest of the engine is 1406 Edelbrock 600, Performer RPM, Hyd. Lifters in 79’ K5 Blazer will be getting 40-42's 4.88's and TH400 soon.

Thanks, Shane

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Well if you go to the roller you need new lifters also. Check to see how much the ZZ4 cam is with lifters. That should tell you something.
    I was going to put a comp cam etreme energy roller in my project motor. But for $754.69 for just the cam and lifters. I am sticking with a comp cam dual energy hydralic cam. Hell with the roller I only get 40LBS of torque extre.

Good luck with your choice.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

if you go with the roller you will need shorter push rods, roller lifters,lifter retainer thing,new style timing chain,thrust plate for the block,and lifter alignment plates. if you got the money go for the roller but check out the comp roller cams compared to the zz4. also will need hardened distributor gear. but if money is tight i,d stay with the hyd flat tappet that you have its a pretty good grind cam.

4. Nitrodrip350

Well I can get the cam above for 135.00 Brand New

ZZ4 Cam

and the stock roller lifters for 80.00

Roller Lifters

Now I know that I need the keepers for the lifters but I have seen sets go for around 80-125.00 on Ebay. So I could sell my other parts and make up the price. Just looking for some basic comparisons between roller vs. non-roller and 64 CC heads vs. 76 cc heads. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks, Shane

5. chevystepside

what pistons are in your motor? size and type - dish/flat top. yes you can use s standard hyd flat tappet cam in a roller block.

6. Nitrodrip350

They are the stock pistons, rods, 4 bolt main, total seal rings std. bore. I can get specifics if needed just need to get my Chevy Catalog.

Shane-

7. chevystepside

well with stock pistons you might want to go with the 64cc heads. the 75cc heads with stock pistons will have very low compression compared to the 64cc heads you will get more bang for your buck with the 64cc heads with either cam

8. Nitrodrip350

Can a non-roller cam be used with roller lifters? Or vise versa a roller cam with non-roller lifters (I don't think that this can be done just not very educated on roller motors)

Thanks, Shane

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

No it cannot, and you also must use retro fit roller lifters and not the oe style unless you already have a roller block. The oe style wont work in the older block. The retro fit lifters are about 400 bucks too.

10. Nitrodrip350

Yeah the ZZ block comes stock with the roller lifters. Didn't notice this til about 5 days ago /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It was going to be easy just re-ring her and move all my stuff from the old block to the new one. "Then God said let there be a Roller Motor!" So now I'm lost again!

Shane-

11. chevystepside

im running hyd flat tappet cam in a 1996 roller block with no problems. just needed longer pushrods. and the cam is a comp 262 extreme 4x4 the is set -up for roller but went hyd

12. chevystepside

oops my bad if i could read . your right you canot use roller lifters with a hyd flat tappet cam or the other way either

13. chevystepside

if are looking to get rid of the 75cc heads let me know. i got a couple of projects they would work awsome in

14. Nitrodrip350

So it's either one way or the other all roller or all non-roller. Hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I just keep getting myself more and more into trouble /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Shane-

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what about the "hot cams" the put in the ZZ4's and fastburns?

16. Nitrodrip350

Don't know much about them but I look at the Fast Burns and ZZ4 as making alot of highend HP/Torque but not as much in the lower RPMS

This is from DynoJet testing of ZZ4-TPI w/ LT4 HOT Cam I think that this is the same as the Hot Cam/LT4 Hot Cam? Or is this just for the F-Bodies? either way this is what he got:

RPM Torque HP
    3600 350 240

I don't really want to take my truck to 3600 to get my max torque.

Shane-

17. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yea the zz4 ho is whats in my GMC street beast It screams with a turbo 350 and 3.08 gear. 1st gear till 60 and 2nd till 125 and i let off still pullin b/c i havent put my damn seat belts in yet /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and i want a cage, bout to put a 12 bolt 4.11 posi back there but i like the speed and gas milage im gettin now but the acceleration will go way up.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Nitrodrip350

Good GOD you take you truck to 125 in 2ND!? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 3.08 let you do that! What kind of RPM are you pulling? I had a 6 Speed 96 Z28 with 3.42 and I could only take 2nd to about 65-70, that's crazy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Is your engine a stock Aluminum Head ZZ4?

Shane-

19. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Alight well not quite sure its at 125 but i do pull way ahead of my buddys Dakota R/T w/360 he has rev limiter at 115 were side by side and he stops at 115 while im still going way ahead of him. I got no Tach right now also and the speedo goes to 85 so my needel is around the choke light /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I need seat belts.... and go to drag strip wiht it. its the ZZ4 HO idk what all my uncle did to it but theres recipts for all of it i just got to sort thur it all. I really want a supercharger for it.

20. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good GOD you take you truck to 125 in 2ND!? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 3.08 let you do that! What kind of RPM are you pulling? I had a 6 Speed 96 Z28 with 3.42 and I could only take 2nd to about 65-70, that's crazy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Is your engine a stock Aluminum Head ZZ4?

Shane-

[/ QUOTE ]

though the 2nd gear in your 6 speed is probably lower than the 2nd in a turbo 350 and ur camaro tires are im sure smaller also, I can take my 72 to 90mph in 2nd with out a problem, if i had a power band to 6000-6500 rather than 5k i could go alot faster