1984 3/4 Ton Suburban | The Speckled Burb Build

• Found this on CL last week. I had to have it!

upload_2020-10-20_20-48-27.png

upload_2020-10-20_20-49-21.png

upload_2020-10-20_20-49-54.png

upload_2020-10-20_20-50-30.png

upload_2020-10-20_20-51-22.png

After seeing @Larry build the Polar Bear Suburban, I have been looking for a factory equipped SM465 Suburban. This is a 3/4 Ton (from the factory... (I saw the GM build (option?) sheet on the driver side front fender) with a semi floating axle out back. This isn’t nearly as nice of a start up rig as @Larry Polar a bear, but the bones are... well, they are there. Under the hood is a less than 10,000 mile Jeg’s crate 350 motor. New exhaust, new tires, new(ish) clutch. Considering that this is a Wyoming truck the rust isn’t really bad. Floors look really good. There is some rust in the normal places, like the driver side rear quarter. And, there’s some surface rust for sure! But, check out the “speckled” paint! This is literally the out of the can speckled paint that you find to make that “like rock” surface.

Not completely sure where this will end up in the end, but if all else fails, I will have some good parts to throw at my 84 K10. I really like this thing! Started right up!

First things to fix will be a bad throw out bearing (has a brand new clutch, but the throw out bearing didn’t last), and the driver side window is broken out. It does drive, but that throw out bearing makes a lot of noise, and makes it hard to change gears.

I am already reaching out to @Larry for some solid advice to make this a reliable light trail rig. I’m thinking overlander style!

More to come!

Treb
  • Year:
    Make:
    Chevrolet
    Model:
    3/4 Ton Suburban
    Factory Options:
    SM465, 3/4 Ton
    Engine:
    Transmission:
    SM465