1984 black & wild

Overview

D2582689-2A12-4321-B4CA-3745FFFA7D1C.jpeg
Decided to start a build thread to share what I have been up to. Some of you have helped me tremendously already and I appreciate that. I live in Michigan and bought my truck from North Carolina. Never seen the truck in person. I would not recommend doing this but I decided to take a gamble. Found it on Craig’s list. Had it shipped up here from a trucking company in January of 2020.
D852DADC-4519-4C42-8002-168548B5E2FB.jpeg
Here is the truck when I first got it. It had stock open diffs and 35x12 m/t on 15x12 Mickey Thompson wheels. Also 4”pro Comp lift spring front block rear. It wouldn’t stay running and the throttle was hard to push. Come to find out the previous owner sprayed the engine down and somehow filled the cap and rotor with water. No biggie he was just trying to clean it up it was an easy fix. Next came the throttle cable. I knew right away something was up with the tv cable and the geometry was off. So I bought the arm for an edlebrok to fix that and also the proper bracket. I ended up needing to cut the bracket and make some changes to it and weld it back together. I got the geometry right but the gas peddle was still stiff. To fix that issue I went to a shorter 79’ camaro throttle cable and drilled a higher hole in the carb arm where the cable attaches so it would pull straight.then around the spring I pulled the carpet and started patching the floors. No major holes just some pitting. So one big patch on the passenger side and a couple small ones here and there.
2A184BC6-BDAF-421E-A8BE-4EA71DB346EE.jpeg
A1F70336-3468-4364-99BD-0A8A73D0A311.jpeg
718A5D9B-C44D-4CF0-9694-D66BECBE28EA.jpeg
FA98B723-7AC7-4130-A3CB-0CA34ABE2A1C.jpeg
FE1EAAA9-470D-4D55-8409-77300623C1B5.jpeg
5514085C-FB42-4C47-8023-811DFA256C7A.jpeg
After the patches I did primer, paint, insulation , and rubber floors. Around this time I found some one tons in Pennsylvania. They were a matching set out of a k30 with 4.10 gears. Beware 84-85 some 14bolts use a small bearing for the pinion that you can’t find. I didn’t know this when I bought them and almost had a heart attach when I thought I had a useless 14bolt. I got lucky and mine was the right bearing. I took the axles apart and metal finished the diffs to make them look pretty. Lol. Had the rear rebuilt with the 4.10 gears that were in them but with a true-track. The Dana 60 was the same but put a detroit locker up front.
9C38D362-F14C-4176-BEFF-BBA72AC1B0E4.jpeg
C8460577-B32B-4E5D-A9AC-C1288890A4CA.jpeg
C009EAA5-CF66-48FA-9BD7-3A37D4855B12.jpeg
428D149B-C9EC-4578-ADA2-BF8AA28126AB.jpeg
C893B27B-6B90-460D-A85C-6DE2A1991029.jpeg
D7C62307-7B43-4A39-A72E-EF4419F282DE.jpeg
89A0DE59-E598-48C5-8ED7-104D875E9252.jpeg
EEADF66B-AD11-4FCD-8BA1-A9040BB3C4CE.jpeg
As you can see in those pics I also shaved the diff and put in a diy4x shakle flip. After the rear was in place I centered it and got the angle right and welded it in. “While I was in there” I did the Tom woods sye and double caradan driveshaft. Don’t have pics but I rebuilt the tcase while the tail shaft was away for machining. Next was the one ton steering. Used the whole kit from ORD. Reid bushimg, high steer arms and and drop arm. I also had to switch to the 2wd steering box so “while I was in there” I also welded in steering box frame braces. Do t have a pic of that either. I’ll get pics next time I’m up north we’re the truck is for the winter.
C0523D49-5AE0-4193-B65B-5F6113E11565.jpeg
here’s the steering. When I took this pick I think they were just laying there and not actually hooked up. I can’t remember . I bent the bars with a harbor freight tubing bender. Not recommended but I got it done.
1639D70E-D031-40E4-8BEE-0932A31DF99F.jpeg
16D94177-4A78-4A5B-9063-5F9EC3DBE0A0.jpeg
3B59C7CD-1D01-45EB-8A60-59D8C5767EEB.jpeg
These are some pics when I got the tires mounted to the wheels. The front wheel was just sitting over the spindle. It wasn’t complete yet but I wanted to see some progress. There is a lot of stuff still needed to be done. I drove it around through the fall then put it away. I worked hard on this but everything takes time. What I had planned on getting done and what I got done was close but I ran out of time and weather. As I write this I am in the progress of building a 400sbc. It will have a Comp cams xe262 cam, edelebrock performer intake, Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb with quick change spring kit. Heddman long tube ceramic headers. The bottom end was built by my buddy that had it in his g20 van so the bottom end has like 20,000 miles on it. There is a lot of little things I did aswell and I’m forgetting half of them. New neutral safety switch and seals . All the brakes and bearings and seals are new on both axles. I would rather do these parts while I have the apart.
90B1D0AC-8CB7-4A33-9A20-3B14F3FF04FD.jpeg
969B6DE0-3969-464B-864B-945D410DD8F6.jpeg
here’s some pics of my goodies for my 400sbc. Thanks for reading I’ll add more as I go. After the motor goes in then I have a Gm NOS quarter panel to bolt on. And wrap up the interior.

Specs

Year
1984
Make
Gmc
Model
Seirra
Engine
350
Transmission
700r4
Transfer Case
Np208
Steering
1ton crossover high steer
Suspension
4” spring front shakle flip rear
Axles
D60/14bff
Wheels
Bart 15x8
Tires
35x12.50x15
Paint
Black
  • Like
Reactions: max 02

Item information

Added by
mark84k5
Views
217
Last update

More in K5 Blazer | Jimmy

Top Bottom