Bought the K5 for $2800 June 2016 with a reman 350 TBI, 700R4, np208 with some weather checked tires. Ran good, shifted firm and the body was straight...so I thought "why not?"
Certainly a long list of items to do, and as with many, the limitations are often time, parts, money and spousal agreements to support.
Done so far:
- 10 bolts...gone. Leaf springs...gone. Stock fuel tank...gone. Steering box...gone.
- Entire body primered and coated with beige bed liner
- 14 bolt, Detroit Locker, 4.56, pinion guard, bridged and trussed
- Dana 60 front build underway; Detroit, 4.56, complete hub-hub rebuild, OX u-joints
- Bed cage; all bent here out of 1.75" .120 wall DOM
- Corbeau baja seats w/harnesses
- New radiator w/electric fan from Crown Vic on designated switch
- LED headlight conversion (upper white/lower ambers)
- 4-link brackets fab'd up and tacked in place
- New 37's Maxxis Trep's on 17" steelies
...I'm sure I'm missing other smaller items
- Cut and TIG the links and tube adapters (2" .250 wall DOM)
- Shock/Suspension brackets on axles
- Bend hoops/CNC cut shock mounts for coilovers (King coilovers on all four corners)
- PSC full hydro front steer
- In-bed fuel cell
- Continue cage into cab
- Box in sections of the frame
- Taper front/rear for clearance(s)
- Cut out my own beadlocks and mount 'em
I'm hoping to be on the trails by June. My original goal was Moab by mid-May, but that's not promising.
I'll keep up with photos as much as I can. I'm more of a hobbyist, but I do all of my own chassis/cage design, tube bending, cnc plasma/hand cutting, MIG/TIG welding, etc. Only a few items I get from other shops that have the means to press thick parts, etc.