Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daily Driver 2000 OBS SFA SWAP-CAMPER/TOW RIG: USING AND ABUSING

• As I get closer to digging into my crew cab and thinking more about future camping/wheeling trips, I am starting to get some ideas and directions in mind.

The truck will be SFA swapped on 285's. Good clearance for mild trails and exploration.

I will still be towing my Jimmy here and there for events, as well as just the truck with camper by itself.

With the thought process of K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid), I am wanting to be able to tow/camp/explore all with one setup(truck, trailer, camper).

My initial thought was a longer goose neck with a pop-up camper or slide in camper bolted to the front, and the rig behind it. But the more I think about it, I would like a more simple setup while not having the Jimmy in-tow on a camping only trip(much like Beags' recent trip).

My question is, would a slide-in truck bed camper and a bumper pull trailer with the Jimmy on it be too much or unsafe for long distance travel?

This is something local that I had in mind for the slide-in camper.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/rvs/5206358546.html

This is the truck base. Ignore the 4x4 rear, and lowrider front stance. Truck has been corrected, but will soon ride slightly higher with the SFA swap.

photo 1 (5).JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

• Year:
    Make:
    Chevrolet
    Model:
    Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
    Trim Level:
    Base
    Interior:
    All vinyl and all manual!
    Factory Options:
    Tilt/Cruise/AC. It's a W/T, so I got lucky to have those options...
    Engine:
    6.5 Vin F Turbo Diesel. PMD relocated with #9 resistor. Aftermarket crossover tube and 4" turbo-back exhaust. New SS Fuel Miser injectors.
    Transmission:
    2wd(for now) 4L80E
    Transfer Case:
    N/A
    Steering:
    Custom cross over steering with factory Ford tie rod.
    Suspension:
    Front: 78-87 1 ton 4 leaf springs and ORD poly dodge bushings for offset. ORD SFA kit and extended brake lines. Bilstein Super Duty shocks. Custom shock hoops.
    Rear: Factory 1 ton springs with ORD 4" shackle flip. Bilstein 5125 shocks.
    Axles:
    Front: 99-04 F250 Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. Spring center pins moved inward 1/4 inch to match spring pad width for solid axle kit. Factory brakes and lockouts.
    Rear: Factory 14BFF with drum brakes and 4.10 gears. No factory LSD.
    Wheels:
    Factory 16" GM steel wheels and center caps. Front caps hole sawed for lockout clearance.
    Tires:
    285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT
    Paint:
    Uh, what's there is kind of white. And the bed looks like a candy cane...