76 K5 - resurrection

  • So after looking through all of the build porn over the last couple of months, I decided it was finally time to get the gray bitch back on the road. I have had it for about 12 years and it has sat for most of the last ten. It was a high school graduation gift from my step-dad. His dad bought it new from the lot.

    It came to me with a blown transmission. Rebuilt it with a friends help and got to drive it around for about 1 year before it started going down hill. Started having carb problems, busting u-joints, and super hard shifts. Got it impounded at one point and had to sell the rims and tires. Ended up parked and not too much has changed on it since then.

    Started trying to get it road worthy about 2 years ago. Changed the carb out for an Edelbrock 1406 and started replacing everything that looked bad. Got it run okay, but never did much with it. Did find out the hard shifts were due to a disconnected modulator line.

    Fast forward to this past summer. Boss told me to get myself something on his tab so I decided to get an exhaust system to replace the manifolds and 3 feet of straight pipes. Went with hooker painted headers, hooker dual exhaust kit, and some hooker mufflers. I like hookers:D Great bolt on kit - fairly easy to install and it sounded great! Finally had it ready for road trials.

    Moved it out to a cousin's house about miles away. I could tell it was lacking in power so I decided I needed to address the tired old 400. To add to it it developed a knock. My thought was to check compression and do a basic rebuild if that's what it called for.

    Compression test revealed some issues. Got 135 on six cylinders, 115 and 60 on the other two. So rebuild it is.

    DSCF0421.JPG

    DSCF0423.JPG

    DSCF0441.JPG

    men.jpg