86 c10 SWB aka Blue By You

• This is technically the wife’s truck, I traded the 78 k5 that was too rusty to mess with.

Well I’ve been collecting parts for awhile, but the project got accelerated because a buddy needed the 305/350 setup for a customers classic truck and I couldn’t turn down 1500.00 for the engine trans and since nothing would work on the blazer (Vortec headed 355 and SM465) it didn’t make any sense to take up space in garage or barn.

I scored a freshly rebuilt long block from a guy whose family owns a shop, they had it rebuilt and put it in a plumbing truck for a customer and the truck was wrecked about 20k later. It’s a 97 7.4 Vortec 7400, stock rebuild by a very reputable local okc machine shop. It was a odd mix of gen6 with gen5 tbi heads and intake. Got it for 800.00

I disassembled it down to a long block and did some cleaning and then wrapped it up for the winter.

Over that time I was directed by virtually every bbc guy to Straub Technologies in Tenn for a custom cam. Not many people seem to build the gen 6 even though it’s a full roller one piece seal engine.

I got a Reground billet core, to his specs some Harland Sharp roller rockers and 3/8 valve springs, scored a set of fresh L29 heads with comp cams valvesprings, stainless stock sized valves and retainers etc fresh from machine shop for 150.00
    Can’t afford aluminum heads, maybe later but I doubt it.

The rest was collecting used headers, a quadrajet 800 that’s almost brand new for 100.00, ordering a electric fuel pump since the gen 6 has no provision for mechanical. Cheap Ebay valvecovers, sprung for a Air gap intake since you can’t buy em used anywhere.

Pulled the engine on Friday evening, going to do some cleanup today. Got a th400 for 50.00 but it’s been sitting outside, not sure what it will need.
  • Year:
    Make:
    Chevy
    Model:
    C10
    Trim Level:
    Silverado
    Interior:
    Blue
    Factory Options:
    Everything available except the 350
    Engine: