CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

88Silverado. Mods over the years.

Overview

20220504_142319.jpg

I purchased this stock, factory tow package Blazer from the original owner.
First mod was the addition of an external tire carrier I found for $25 and installing new Interco TrXus 33" tires. Loved them but none were round, took a ton of weight to balance and still bounced down the road.
B2.jpg

So, what's the first major thing to do with a stock Blazer? 4" Lift. First was installing the ORD flip for the rear springs.
B12.jpg

I decided to inset UHMPWE (Ultra-high molecular weight Polyethylene) strips between the leaf's for more slip. Over time, they did just that, got hard and slipped out from between springs. Wasn't worth the mod. Also installed Doetsch shocks but changed to inboard design later for more flex.
B11.jpg

Once I finished the back I started on the front and install the Ford shock towers, Doetsch shocks, extended brake lines, swaybar disconnect, Superlift front springs, ORD shackles, raised steering arm, greaseable polyurethane bushings.
B6.jpg
B13.jpg

Because the lift caused some vibration due to u-joint angle change, I dropped the transfer case 1" with blocks. Now its better.
B9.jpg

This is what it looked like after the lift.
B5.jpg

I found a set of custom sliders a CK5 member had and bought/installed them.
slider1.JPG

Next mod was to install a rear shock in-boarding kit MuddyTazz had fabricated in his garage.
inboard5.JPG

inboard1.jpg

shockmount.jpg

P1010025.JPG

I had to reroute the exhaust due to the new shock location, then had it painted GM Bahama Blue
P10100016.JPG

P1010022.JPG

The picture above is when I picked up the truck from the paint shop. It was 5PM on Friday. At 7AM Saturday I met some fellow CK5ers and went to Gorman to run trails. When finished both sides were beautifully pin-stripped. Beware, you can catch a ton of crap from the wife if you scratch it up before the paint is 24hrs old :)

It was shortly after this I had the differential gears changed to 4:56 and added TruTrac's. Going from 3:73 to 4:56 with 35" tires basically puts it back at factory 3:73. Kinds wish I went to 4:88 with the stock engine.

I found an old Warn Winch bumper which would fit my old Warn 8000 upright winch and fabbed some brackets and installed it.
winchside.JPG

Removed the 150' 3/16" cable and replaced with 125' 5/16 cable (one size up)
Wench Cable.gif

Couple new KC-type lights and ready to roll.
winchbumper.JPG

Added a dual battery setup and relay for the winch
auxbatt.jpg

relay.jpg

After driving this for about 15 years, and yes, running on some hard trails which subjected it to some body damage, I decided she needed to be sold or painted. As usual, one thing led to another and I basically replaced the interior (except seats), had it sanded down and repainted 1972 Corvette Bryar Blue (has a teal color depending on the light), installed a new stereo and speakers, blue LED dash lights and LED Head/Tail lights.
20220524_181742.jpg

I sprayed the engine compartment and areas including the sliders and winch bumper with Dupli-Color Truck Bed Liner.
20220524_181141.jpg

20220524_181019.jpg

And she's ready for another 15 years! I think this time I'll mostly run mild trails as I have a TJ that is used for the more serious stuff.
20220513_142010 (2).jpg

Specs

Year
Make
Chevy
Model
Blazer
Trim Level
Silverado
Interior
Blue
Factory Options
Tow package with trans cooler with 3:73 gears
Engine
350tbi
Transmission
700R4
Transfer Case
NP208
Steering
Stock
Suspension
ORD shackles, Stock rear springs, Superlift front springs, Ford extended shock towers, extended brake lines, Doestech Shocks, Greaseable bushings, Swaybar disconnect, In-boarded rear shocks
Axles
10-Bolts with 4:56 and TruTrac's
Wheels
15" Weld Racing
Tires
35" Falken A/T3W AT's. Work great in the snow and ice. Super quiet and great ride. Better than BFG A/T, M/T, Intraco TrXus tires which I previously ran.
Paint
72 Corvette Bryar Blue

Item information

Added by
88Silverado
Views
Last update

More in K5 Blazer | Jimmy

Top Bottom