CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

89 Suburban - The Canyonero: Battle of $ vs capability

Budget friendly build for General off-roading with an emphasis on camping and self reliability featuring a host of self-built, DIY mods.

Overview

Edited: 26 Apr 2020

So I've been around awhile, and I've decided to start a slow build thread.

Watch this:

What I have: 1989 V1500 Suburban Silverado 350/700/241

Story: This suburban used to be my sisters. She traded it in to the dealership I worked at and three of my friends and I bought it as a side vehicle for camping and roadtrips. I ended up doing most of the work, so they just gave it to me. It had a bent bumper with a broken side support, no back window, missing seat bolts, iffy a/c, gas gauge inop, I even found a sharpie in the gas tank from her kids, but overall it was in good shape.

My End Goal: To build a moderate, dependable, comfortable, powerful, capable, multipurpose camping, roadtrip, expo style rig.

Immediate goals: Varies based on availability and whim, but sub box/center console, add bumper and winch, fix some body issues (for both of us, lol).

Intermediate goals: Roof rack, sliders, Dana 60, Barn doors.

Long term goals: LQ swap or 12v cummins. canyonaro.jpg

My Build Theory: I love new custom parts, but even more, I love repurposing things and using scrap/jy parts to suit my needs and give them a new purpose. You will notice little things in my posts that reflect this. I have almost always had a tight budget which forces creativity with regards to customizing. I usually fall between a "might as well" and a "budget" mindset (unless it's a super critical part like brakes). It's too easy to get carried away replacing everything that's not perfect.

This build will be slow as I am on a single govt income. Links and pics to come! I always value advice and ideas so follow along!

Specs

Year
Make
Chevy
Model
Suburban V1500
Trim Level
Silverado
Interior
Camel
Factory Options
Rear AC, tinted rear windows, buckets.
Engine
5.7 TBI, all stock.
Transmission
700r4 with air to air cooler, external filter, shift kit, and servo upgrade.
Transfer Case
NP241C
Steering
Stock
Suspension
Rough Country 4”, EZ inch in the rear. Too stiff!
Axles
Dana 44 big bearing, AAM 10.5 with factory discs, DIY pinion guard.
Wheels
H2s
Tires
315/70r17 Cooper ST Maxx
Paint
Stock and flaky white and tan.
Homemade fold down spare tire bumper, sleeping platform with storage, numerous electrical upgrades, hydroboost...idk read the build.

Item information

Added by
nutt7
Views
Watchers
Last update

More in Suburban

Top Bottom