'90 K5 'Barney'

Tags:
  • On 08/27/17 I purchased 'Barney' a 1990 Chevrolet Blazer for $3,300 with 145,900 miles on the clock.
    I had been watching this truck on Craigslist that was originally listed for $7,000 at a used car lot, over a couple months the price dropped several times and once under $5,000 I started kicking tires. I plan to give you the good, bad and ugly as it comes up.
    Barney was originally sold to the Texas Parks and Wildlife department with a build date of 06/90 and then was sold 04/94 to the Falls County Sheriffs Department where they sprayed a terrible Gold paint job over it and slapped some D.A.R.E. stickers in the windows and because of his service to the Sheriff Dept is why my wife and I have dubbed him Barney Fife (hopefully everyone gets the reference).
    Apparently Barney was deadlined in 2003, the latest maintenance record I found while cleaning out the truck was from Walmart in 5/03 and the mileage on the ticket was 145,668 for a battery replacement. Either something happened to the odometer or this thing only made it less than 300 miles in just over 14 years! The dealer I bought him from said that he purchased the truck not running and it had obviously been sitting for a long time, he slapped a new fuel tank, pump, distributor cap, wires, plugs and air filter and put him up for sale, dry rotten tires and all! Because of how long Barney has sat I expect issues so the best way to find those I believe will be to drive them out. :woot:

I have been reading through so many awesome builds I feel like I've watched many of your trucks come together and it's inspired me to start my own. Progress will be slow but it may help me stay on track and I hope you all enjoy watching and advising on this one!
  • Year:
    Make:
    Chevrolet
    Model:
    Blazer
    Trim Level:
    Scottsdale
    Interior:
    Blue Vinyl over Rubber
    Factory Options:
    A/C, power rear window, tilt, cruise
    Engine: