Here's me and my story. I already have 2016 Camry as a daily/reliable/economical driver, but lately my wife uses it more than less so I found myself wanting some other transportation for short distances around and occasional camping trip with kids. I got this Blazer in September 2018 little randomly - I really loved the looks of it. Then I found out that it's much bigger of a project than I initially anticipated. I don't have a shop nor proper tools. I live in apartment complex in San Jose and things like swapping engines/transmissions/axles are a big deal for me. Everything else I should be able to cope with on my own.
- 350 engine runs strong, it's been rebuilt by previous owner
- not much rust, frame is very clean
- it has new mechanical carburetor, new distributor, new valve covers, new starter
- previous owner swapped a transfer case (NP208)
- steering pump looks very new, it must have been rebuilt recently
- I put two ORD kits on, the weld-in frame repair and steering box brace
- new ball joints, whole steering works nice and tight
- 35inch tires, 15inch rims, 6 lug
- brakes are real good
- my 700R4 transmission is shot, currently drives only on 1st gear or reverse
- half tonne axles, rear diff has 2:73 ratio - I have no clue what's in front diff
- automatic locking hubs don't work
- windshield is cracked, passenger and driver windows are very flimsy, although they roll all the way up and down
- no tailgate glass
- whole interior is messed up
Now I know it sounds little cheezy, but I really enjoy the vibe of baja truck with roof rack, hella lamps and spare on the tailgate, I love oversized tires and I love to listen to rough and dirty music while driving, like this:
The Heavy - This ain't No Place For No Hero
ZZ Top - La Grange
Freedom - Django Unchained
Javier Arce, Lagartijeando - vuelo por la pampa
I enjoy street-legal offroad/baja/overlanding looks with exposed shocks and other mechanical parts of the vehicle. I'm not that much after performance as it will mostly be used for short distances around Bay Area and light offroad with kids on the rear bench (2 year old and 5 year old boys). Vehicle has current insurance/registration and SMOG but I might have trouble renewing SMOG around August 2020.
I might sell this Blazer and get into some more advanced project though. If you have a truck for sale or would consider swapping my car for yours - hit me up.