CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Electrathon race car- a different type of build

Overview

Now, I know that this build may be a little different than the typical ck5 build, but I thought a few of you may enjoy this, or if this is totally off topic and should not be on here, fully understandable and I will not continue.

To give you guys a little back ground on myself, I am a tech ed teacher at a local public high school and we research, design, fabricate and race fully electric race cars.

I had this dream since I started teaching to start this program to help the kids learn the ins and outs of fabrication/design/engineering.

The electrathon race is a race in which local high schools build a small electric powered race car to race against other schools. The students physically drive the car on a real race track. It is a race of efficiency. The goal is to get as many laps as they can in 1 hour. They are allowed to used 2 red top optima car batteries as fuel and once the batteries die they are out of the race. It is quite the challenge and I am learning a TON along side of the students. I do not consider myself a master fabricator, professional welder/etc but I have a huge drive to design/challenge students and learn and this is one of the better ways to do that.

I am very lucky to have a principal who is a huge advocate of the technology education world, so the grants he writes to fund our racing is truly a blessing.

We have built some kit cars, long curve for learning how to weld aluminum and continue doing quite well at our races.

SORRY I WONT FIX THE OLD PICTURES... NEW THREAD STARTED IN THIS ONE.

Now, I wont waste any more time typing the rest of this up if you guys feel its too off topic for our forum, but I know the knowledge base we have here is huge and could be very helpful to myself/students. Here are a few quick pictures from what we have done so far.. ill explain more if you guys would like to see!

We are building a brand new race car for May 2014, all aluminum chassis/body, so this build thread would be documenting our new car build.

this is our car as a kit at our last race this past October..we updated the wheels and practiced out pit stops, came in 1st place!

stockk5.jpg

Specs

Year
Make
custom
Model
custom

More from stockk5

stockk5
Views
This is going to be a slow build, but I hope this thread gives me some more motivation if a discussion is started/interest. I have had this k5 since I was 17, I am 30 now and it has gone through a few different phases, I will give a quick history. Its been through 3 or 4 motors, 3 trans, 2 transfer cases and a few axle configurations since then. When I got it, had to redo the floor completely, my dad and I tackled it with no experience doing any welding/fab work.. but came out decent...
stockk5
Views
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally get to start a build thread fresh from the beginning, I know this is a popular thing to do now a days, build up a crew cab but I have been lusting/searching for a clean one for the better part of 6years now. I have searched through many craigslists ads, friends of friends, went and looked at many trucks over the years. Never found one I was happy with. I originally wanted to build a crew cab for wheeling, then as time went on, I kept building my blazer and then wanted a...

Item information

Added by
stockk5
Views
Watchers
Last update

More in Other

Top Bottom