Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrathon race car- a different type of build

• Now, I know that this build may be a little different than the typical ck5 build, but I thought a few of you may enjoy this, or if this is totally off topic and should not be on here, fully understandable and I will not continue.

To give you guys a little back ground on myself, I am a tech ed teacher at a local public high school, this is my 3rd year teaching. This is our first year having this car as a full year class. Last year it was simply an after school program with a small group of students.

This has been my dream since I started teaching to start this program to help the kids learn the ins and outs of fabrication/design/engineering. It is finally coming around.

The electrathon race is a race in which local high schools build a small electric powered race car to race against other schools. The students physically drive the car on a real race track. It is a race of efficiency. The goal is to get as many laps as they can in 1 hour. They are allowed to used 2 red top optima car batteries as fuel and once the batteries die they are out of the race. It is quite the challenge and I am learning a TON along side of the students. I do not consider myself a master fabricator, professional welder/etc but I have a huge drive to design/challenge students and learn and this is one of the better ways to do that.

I am very lucky to have a principal who is a huge advocate of the technology education world, so the grants he writes to fund our racing is truly a blessing.

Two years ago when we were given the grants, it was baptism by fire, we had only 3weeks to order every part we needed, and I had no idea what I would need. Much like the builds on here, there are hours of research etc that go into this, so we figure our first round, we should use a kit car.

Now, I wont waste any more time typing the rest of this up if you guys feel its too off topic for our forum, but I know the knowledge base we have here is huge and could be very helpful to myself/students. Here are a few quick pictures from what we have done so far.. ill explain more if you guys would like to see!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are building a brand new race car for May 2014, all aluminum chassis/body, so this build thread would be documenting our new car build.

this is our car as a kit at our last race this past October..we updated the wheels and practiced out pit stops, came in 1st place!

[​IMG]

stockk5.jpg