CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Mini bulldozer with mini backhoe: Video, with my dad!

Overview

Friends and family look at me funny when I say we're building a mini bulldozer in our shed. Because, apparently, this is not something normal people do. Seems perfectly reasonable to me :dunno:

As a bit of background, I've been wanting A Project for some time. Not a life-long project like another Blazer (been there, done that), but a build-from-the-ground-up something. I considered a kit car, but I'm too old and fat to fit in the damn things, and we have enough cars already. The kid wanted a hovercraft (which would be epic, as I could name it Full Of Eels and go around saying "My hovercraft is Full Of Eels") but we don't have a ton of water places on which to run it. I've also really wanted to build a big scale RC model tank for years, but that's more of a life-long project and I don't have the OCD for accurate modelling. And so on and so forth.

But then I _do_ have occasional need (*) for work around the property, so the idea of a farm implement sort of thing came to mind.

* "Need" vs "want" is relative. You guys know how this works.

I also wanted to teach my stepson basic shop skills, some welding and fabrication stuff, and have him make himself useful after graduation until he got a job. Maybe he'd decide he enjoys metal working, maybe he'd decide not, but it'd give him some guidance, and cut down on my chiropractic visits :haha:

In the end I decided a tracked implement/machine could be handy, would be fun to build, and would be *kinda* like a tank. I went Googling, didn't find much in terms of kits or really detailed info, but did find one guy who sells plans with some parts pre-cut. Took a while to get all the parts (he's in Canada, so the cross-border stuff was a killer), but eventually we got all the parts, and found excuses to buy more tools, and cut and welded a shit ton of stuff, and several months later, here's the final result:

dremu.JPG

That's said teenager, not me. Somewhere along the thread you'll see the tubby redhead, fear not.

As with my other threads, it'll be pic-heavy with commentary that makes me laugh. It may not amuse you, might just make you think I'm crazy. Hell, I built a fricken bulldozer for my garden :screwy:

Where I've had good vendors, I'll try to point them out, at least by name if not a full URL. Feel free to post or PM for more detail on any given experience.

Specs

Year
Make
Home
Model
Bulldozer and backhoe

Latest reviews

More from dremu

dremu
Views
I've always wanted a HMMWV (the military Humvee, like the consumer Hummers but even less comfortable.) After careful consideration, however, I concluded that if I wanted an oversize topless impractical vehicle on large tires with GM powertrain better suited as a conversation piece than a daily driver, I could just as well have a Blazer. Which, coincidentally, I already do. :doah: And even after finishing my mini bulldozer-backhoe, I find I enjoy building small things. As you'll see later...
dremu
Views
from stock to smurf, in seventy-two easy (ha!) steps, plus some commentary on the life decisions I've made, often poor ones. Including four houses and three marriages. :doah: There will be some storytelling and some photopimping. I don't discuss the basics -- you should know a grade 5 from a grade 8 bolt -- but I don't claim to be an expert fabricator either. I just like to weld, so I build things. Sometimes they even work! Here on CK5 we have all kinds of builds: stock trucks, resto-mods...

Item information

Added by
dremu
Views
Watchers
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Other

Top Bottom