Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Iron Build ('79 K5 Cheyenne)

• Here it goes! :woot:

'79 K5 Cheyenne
    400 SBC/TH350/NP203

It is unmolested and all original. It still has all of the jack accessories clamped down on the passenger inner fender, original owners manual and original warranty card. I believe that the spare tire in the back is the original spare from the factory too. It still has all of the emblems on both sides, factory wheels with dog dishes and all electronics, lights and tailgate glass work.

It has a nice patina going for it, rusty rockers and some of the support in that area which will get cut out and replaced with new metal.

A fuel line was touching one of the manifolds and caused a very small fire, no damage to anything besides the hood, it will have to be replaced. I should be able to clean the engine off, install new spark plugs, spark plug wires and a new distributor and we'll be good to go.

So the end state of this truck is to have an extra flexy family offroad vehicle for trails, wheeling, camping and hopefully showing people up on the RTI ramp.

Things that I have which will be installed over the next few months.

CUCV Dana 60/14BFF both 4.56 w/ Detroit in 14BFF
    SM465/NP205
    52" or 56" springs up front (I'll give both a try since I already have them).
    64" springs out back (will pull from the junkyard within the next week or so).
    ORD steering box brace

DIY4X Parts:
    B52 Brackets
    Shackle Hanger Frame Mount
    6" & 7.25" Shackles
    14BFF Diff Cover
    14BFF Spring Plates
    Dana 60 Spring Plates
    14 BFF Spring Perches
    14BFF Guardsman
    14BFF Disc Brake Brackets
    Motor Mounts
    Orbitrol Valve Mount (I may go full hydro).

I need to buy a shackle flip and shackles from DIY4X. I have an ORD flip on my K10 SWB but would like to use Kert's on the K5.

I will be going hydro clutch on the 4 speed and I still need new poly bushings, U-Bolts, 1410 yokes, U-Joints and other odds and ends. I plan on running 37's, maybe 39.5's depending on how much money is freed up when the time comes. I'm also going to pick up one of the ORD steering box frame repair kits too and burn it on there just for the hell of it.

I don't know if this will be a slow or fast build so bear with me and I'll post plenty of pics.

All of my DIY4X parts will get sandblasted this upcoming weekend. The chick who does the blasting is charging me $50 which seems fair to me. Then I'll paint them with self etch primer and some gloss black enamel. Remove the rivets and bolt it all together.

All work will be done by myself and my brother. We'll probably take the tranny into the local shop since he's an old school tranny builder and does great work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hand.jpg