CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Orange Crush - 1988 GMC Suburban

1988 GMC 1500 Suburban Sierra Classic

Overview

I'm building this for some friends of ours who use this truck at their home in Telluride. It's been a great people hauler for them, but it's definitely in need of some cosmetic TLC, and I've talked him into doing some modifications for a better ride and drivability. What started as him wanting just a paint job (color change) has turned into a fun little project that I hope to actually complete in a couple of months.

Plans for this build:
  • Color change paint job to "Orange Crush". This is the color he wants, thus the name of the build.
  • Blast and coat the undercarriage.
  • 4" ORD lift.
  • 35" Toyo ATIII tires.
  • 16x8 wheels (probably Method Double Standard)
  • 4.88 gears.
  • Steering box brace.
  • Front winch bumper with winch.
  • Rear bumper.
  • Side steps.
  • Stereo (nice to have, but might max out our budget before we get there)

Specs

Year
Make
GMC
Model
Suburban
Trim Level
Sierra Classic
Interior
Tan
Engine
5.7L
Transmission
700R4
Steering
Stock
Suspension
Stock, installing 4" ORD
Axles
Stock 10 bolt, swapping gears to 4.88
Wheels
TBD
Tires
TBD
Paint
TBD
See above for plans.

Notes

First step was to blast and paint the undercarriage. We used an industrial DTM that we use frequently that holds up well, and looks really nice. The muffler got some high-temp paint we use for industrial piping. Next step is body work and paint. Suspension and bumpers are on order. Narrowing down wheel choices, and then we will get those ordered as well. I'm curious to see how this is going to look in Orange Crush. It's a LOT of truck to paint orange, but as others have shown it can actually look pretty good...

More from The Butcher

I picked this up about 10-11 years ago from the same guy I bought my K5 from. It had been sitting for awhile at his place, and it has sat in various places since I picked it up. The day I got it we did get it running, and I actually drove it up on the trailer that I towed it home on. It sat at my wife's dad's shop for several years until he needed it gone, and then it sat at one of my employee's house for awhile, and she said her husband could get it running. I got a call a couple of...
Ultimately this thread may need to be moved to the Driveway section, but since I have so many questions right now I thought I would put it here for some help on technical matters. First the story, then the questions... The Story: About 10 years ago I found a 1990 K5 that was in great condition for sale by a guy here locally. 185,000 miles on it, but supposedly a new engine within the last 40-50K. It had gotten a new paint job (in blue, my favorite color for K5s, but not an award winning...

Item information

Added by
The Butcher
Views
Last update

More in Suburban

Top Bottom