Rocco's 77 K5 Blazer - Frame Off 6.2/6L80 Build

  • I purchased this Blazer back in October 2015 with plans for a modest trail/camping rig in mind. It was in decent shape at the time, and I already had several other projects in the works, so I didn't want to get overly ambitious with the build -- mainly wanted to focus on the interior, cosmetic, and reliability/maintenance stuff. Here's some old pics I dug up of the Blazer when I purchased it:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Nothing amazing, 4" springs up front, 4" blocks in the rear. 33" all terrains. Rebuilt 350, TH350 trans, NP203 case. GM 12 bolt rear (with limited slip lol), GM 10 bolt front. 3.73 gears.

    In the interest of getting this build thread caught up to where I am with the truck today, I'll skim over the details of the work I've done over the past 4+ years.

    For the first few months I focused on the interior, completely stripping it and replacing most of it. I installed a new dash pad, carpet, seats, misc dash parts, door panels, and repainted the grey trim pieces black. Along the way I fixed some things like the turn signal switch, replaced the heater core, reworked the audio system, and made some new bedside panels. Here's a few pics.

    Interior mostly stripped, insulated the floor pan:

    [​IMG]

    Dash back together with new pad, bezel, steering wheel:

    [​IMG]

    New carpet:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    New seats (sourced from a Chrysler Town and Country if I remember correctly), and Tuffy console:

    [​IMG]

    Replaced the door panels. Also replaced all the door rubber at this point:

    [​IMG]

    Reupholstered the headliner, new visors:

    [​IMG]

    Built an enclosure for the subwoofer:

    [​IMG]

    And a new bedside panel with speaker:

    [​IMG]

    Passenger side panel, with amps mounted:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    For the rear seats, built a bracket for some third row Tahoe seats:

    [​IMG]

    Thats a quick run-down of the interior. Here's some before/after:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Next, I moved on to the exterior. I wasn't a fan of the wheels, so I swapped them along with trading out the 33" AT's for some 35" BFG MTs. I also freshened up the axles with new outer bearings, seals, paint, Bilstein 5100s, and brakes. Front received new ball joints, tie rod, drag link, etc:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Painted the top with black Monstaliner:

    [​IMG]

    This is a factory A/C truck, but when I got it the compressor and other A/C parts were removed. Needed to get this working for the AZ summers, so mounted up a Sanden style compressor and replaced the condenser and evaporator:

    [​IMG]

    Fabbed up a spare tire carrier to work with the factory bumper. Yeah, it's a single-shear hinge :), but it's held up well for the past couple of years. May need to revisit though when/if I go to 37s.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    That pretty much summarizes everything I've done up until a couple of months ago.

    Early on, the idea of doing an LS swap crept in, and that led to a bunch of other things...stay tuned for more pictures. In my next posts I'll outline the plan for the latest build I've started, and most likely a bunch of questions about some of the decisions I will need to make. :) Before that, though, here's a pic of where things sit today:

    [​IMG]
  • Year:
    1977
    Make:
    Chevrolet
    Model:
    K5 Blazer
    Trim Level:
    Cheyenne
    Engine:
    Gen IV 6.2 LS (coming soon!)
    Transmission:
    6L80 (coming soon!)
    Transfer Case:
    NP241C with SYE
    Steering:
    Crossover
    Suspension:
    Front: 5" ORD, ORD FUSH
    Rear: DIY4X Shackle Flip, 56" ORD
    Axles:
    Front: GM Corp 10 Bolt (8 Lug Outers)
    Rear: Gm Corp 14 Bolt FF, ARB Locker

    5.13 Gears
    Wheels:
    None yet
    Tires:
    None Yet
    Paint:
    Needs it!
anwat and NorCalAnthony like this.