Sad Suburban

• This actually started a few years back when I started collecting parts for a diesel conversion on my K5 Rock Rig to shift it to more of an exploration/expedition vehicle. But the K5 really was too small, and I couldn't get enthusiastic about it, so started looking for a clean square body Suburban to provide a new base for what would probably be my last build.

In late 2017 I found what I thought would be a good candidate in an '85 OEM 6.2/700R4 Suburban with a Star Craft conversion package. It had a locked up motor and mostly gutted/ruined interior, but was otherwise a straight solid body. I expected to find a bit of a mess from the conversion, but had no idea what a huge mess they made of it. And that was just the beginning of this turning into a white elephant, though I am making painfully slow progress all along.

In the end this is intended to be a fuel efficient plush back road cruiser for exploration, camping, fishing, etc rather than a rock crawler. Obviously I'm far behind on posting this stuff, but I'll update as I get time in chronological order with pics.
  • Year:
    Make:
    GMC
    Model:
    Suburban
    Trim Level:
    Silverado
    Interior:
    Silverado premium saddle tan with buckets
    Factory Options:
    Too much power crap
    Engine:
    6.2L Diesel
    Transmission:
    700R4
    Transfer Case:
    NP241
    Steering:
    Sometimes
    Suspension:
    4" lift
    Axles:
    D60/C14FF with lockers
    Wheels:
    15" D-hole steels
    Tires:
    35" BFG AT-KO
    Paint:
    OEM Saddle Tan
    Main upgrades beyond OEM 6.2L basis is a frankenstein Banks-Sidewinder/Holset H1C wastegated turbo with custom cross over. 700R4 is an early 90s out of my old K5 with a solid variety of internal longevity upgrades. NP241 has SYE.