CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Sad Suburban

Fools errand trying to resurrect an otherwise nice lean Suburban brutally butchered by a conversion company.

Overview

This actually started a few years back when I started collecting parts for a diesel conversion on my K5 Rock Rig to shift it to more of an exploration/expedition vehicle. But the K5 really was too small, and I couldn't get enthusiastic about it, so started looking for a clean square body Suburban to provide a new base for what would probably be my last build.

In late 2017 I found what I thought would be a good candidate in an '85 OEM 6.2/700R4 Suburban with a Star Craft conversion package. It had a locked up motor and mostly gutted/ruined interior, but was otherwise a straight solid body. I expected to find a bit of a mess from the conversion, but had no idea what a huge mess they made of it. And that was just the beginning of this turning into a white elephant, though I am making painfully slow progress all along.

In the end this is intended to be a fuel efficient plush back road cruiser for exploration, camping, fishing, etc rather than a rock crawler. Obviously I'm far behind on posting this stuff, but I'll update as I get time in chronological order with pics.

Specs

Year
Make
GMC
Model
Suburban
Trim Level
Silverado
Interior
Silverado premium saddle tan with buckets
Factory Options
Too much power crap
Engine
6.2L Diesel
Transmission
700R4
Transfer Case
NP241
Steering
Sometimes
Suspension
4" lift
Axles
D60/C14FF with lockers
Wheels
15" D-hole steels
Tires
35" BFG AT-KO
Paint
OEM Saddle Tan
Main upgrades beyond OEM 6.2L basis is a frankenstein Banks-Sidewinder/Holset H1C wastegated turbo with custom cross over. 700R4 is an early 90s out of my old K5 with a solid variety of internal longevity upgrades. NP241 has SYE.

Item information

Added by
BadDog
Views
Watchers
Last update

More in Suburban

Top Bottom