Unjunking the Junk Bucket

• This is my 76 K5 which my sister-in-law dubbed "Junk Bucket". It was purchased by my dad in 1992 when I was 5, and was our family hauler most of my life, until it became my vehicle when I first started driving. I was going to college over 600 miles away and my dad wanted me to have something better suited to that drive, so I got another car and so the Blazer sat in New Mexico on my dad's property for over 12 years until 2017. I was itching for a project car, so I asked my dad if he'd sell me his 79 El Camino (also sitting in NM rotting away). He said it was too far gone, but I could have my old Blazer if I wanted something to restore, and instantly all those fond memories came flooding back, so I said "Yes Please!". He brought it up on a trailer on his next trip to OK, and so began this restoration project. Over the following year I replaced every seal in the transmission, transfer case, diffs, and axles, all bearings, suspension and steering components, joints, and bushings. I wire brushed and painted every bit I could reach, replaced the entire brake system, installed a 2in rough country suspension lift, and some new meaty 33x12.5 BFG T/A KO2 on the stock rallies. I still have plenty of body and interior work to do, and look forward to sharing this truck with my boys, keeping it in the family, and making many more memories in the years to come
  • Year:
    Make:
    Chevy
    Model:
    K5 Blazer
    Trim Level:
    Cheyenne
    Factory Options:
    A/C
    Engine:
    400 SBC
    Transmission: