10 to 14 bolt axle swap, axle relocation and drive shaft length ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just wondering is anyone who's swapped there 10 bolt to a 14 bolt knows how much change there is in drive shaft length? When installing the 14 bolt can I relocate the axle back an inch and a half and still have enough spline engagement with the stock driveshaft? I also have ORDs 4inch shackle flip. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Or do I have to leave it in the same place until I get a new longer driveshaft?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

On my 2.5" lift on my truck I would say yes there would be enough. The pinion on the 14bff is longer and sits farther forward, so moving it back would just counteract the longer pinion. I don't know how much longer the pinion on the 14 is to the 10, but with my slip yoke 208 and 2.5" lift I could have relocated it back 1.5".

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

88 SWB.Went from 10B to 12B to 14FF,only had to change u-joint.2in add a leaf Still worked.Shakel flip upped lift to 6-7 in,Still worked,but,worried bout full droop. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif