Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14blt S/f in rear but what about the 10blt frnt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Mar 28, 2003.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

ok im finally got in the 14blt s/f in the rear!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but now i have 8lugs in the rear and 6 in the front /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif wheels are diff too.... what can be done to the 10bolt up front for an 8lug conversion? i just got this axle swap done and my parents arent going to help out with a front swap so ill have to pay my own way on this. so a D60 swap is pretty much out of the question /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif..... unless someone would like to donate a D60 to a poor starving college kid /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Do a search on 8 lug conversion. Its easy to do and can be done for $200 or less.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

go to product reviews at the top of the site, they did one.

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

for $200 i got 4 new chrome wheels, 2 six lug, 2 eight lug.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You can always convert the 14 bolt to 6 lug.

6. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Converting the 10 bolt to 3/4 ton is nice just for the larger rotors. Stay away from early disk brake set ups with external hubs though.

7. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

You wont notice a difference in braking power. Bigger rotors yes, but if youre reusing the caliper, its the same pad, so the surface area of pad making contact with the rotors doesnt change at all from the 6 lug setup. Id say unless youre going to go with a full floater in the rear eventually, convert the 14b you have to 6 lug. Its even cheaper than converting the front... and easier. Here's some 6 to 8 lug adapter plates made by Steven @ JKW off road. He does good work. The cool thing about putting these on is that theyll make the width of your rear tires the same as the slightly wider fronts (because being a plate between the drum and wheel, they act as a wheel spacer as well). Theres some other options available too. Just do a search, youll find tons of stuff.

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

What is wrong with the early external hub axles? I am looking at a parts truck that has these and I mainly want it for the front axle. Should I pass on this one and get a newer internal hub axle? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The external hub axles have a smaller spindle so if you have a 2nd design D44 or a 10B you have to get the spindles and new inner bearings. You also can't reuse your old locking hubs like you can with the later internal stuff. Also the bolts that hold the hub on for the external type like to come loose and cause problems.

10. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

The axle I am looking at has 8 lugs, it's a 3/4 ton so i guess I won't need the new spindles and bearings. Would some locktite work on the bolts that hold the external hubs on? Also, I am guessing that I can convert the axle to the newer style internal hubs at a later date if i'd like? Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif