CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

1968 Vette build for the Mrs

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Z71paramedic submitted a new Build:

1968 Vette build for the Mrs

Some of you guys got the scoop on facebook yesterday, but I made a semi-impulsive valentine's day purchase for my wife yesterday... She told me on our first date 12 years ago, that she had always wanted a C3 corvette. I've casually looked since then, a bit more since being back conus, and have noticed prices climbing. Stumbled onto this Saturday and talked it over all day. We went out yesterday to take a look, and she said it was the one. As of right now, it's a roller. New wiring, new front clip, all new suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. Motor is a 427 bored 060 over running 13:1 compression :eek:. It was an original big block car with a 4 speed, but is no longer numbers matching. Comes with boxes and boxes of extras, NOS trim, lights, etc. All the chrome looks good and is there. The only thing it needs is carpet, everything else is accounted for. Has a hard top and soft, two hoods, extra tilt/telescopic column... So we're heading back Saturday to pick it up. She's beside herself about it.

Priority 1 is to decide what we're doing about the motor. Options include new lower compression pistons, swap the 468 out of the blazer, or find an lsx and possibly 6 speed to swap in. We're going to try and figure that out this week. From there, it just needs the wiring finished, front clip bonded on and everything put back together. We're both really excited about this one.

Anyways, on to some pics.
View attachment 198841 View attachment 198842 View attachment 198843 View attachment 198844

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I forgot to get the actual size off them when we were there yesterday, but I think they're 345's. They're WIDE!

bix

...Not higher, but lower?
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
wow, wicked looking c3. Wife is a lucky lady. All i have to do is find a wife, that will buy me blazer parts for v-day:haha:

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh BTW I fully support the lsx 6 speed idea. Then mod the suspension. And freak some people out with a late 60s vette that corners. Oh yah tour gonna need brakes.

I love spending other peoples money:D

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh BTW I fully support the lsx 6 speed idea. Then mod the suspension. And freak some people out with a late 60s vette that corners. Oh yah tour gonna need brakes.

I love spending other peoples money:D
It's got brand new suspension (I need to figure out if it's stock or aftermarket), including a new gymkhana monoleaf out back. Definitely plan on some big wilwoods. I'm kinda leaning the lsx route, she's leaning further towards the big block from the blazer. She's hung up on the big cam (somehow doesn't get that we can make a lumpy lsx...). Give me some real figures/examples so I can bring her on board.

Plus, the L88 snowflake heads on the 427 alone are worth a bunch of money, so we can sell it and fund just about whatever.

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Dyno pull with a pretty small cam tbss intake bigger throttle body. A great tune, different valve springs.

That motor will idle perfect start in any weather and never even indicate its anything special. Cause really its not. But crack the throttle and boy howdy.

Plus its lighter than a big block.

I love vettes but they need all the help they can in the handling dept. Putting a light quick revving motor up front will help alot.

The possibilitys if an LS based motor are endless.

It's not hard to get 6 or 700 hp out of an engine that behaves perfectly until you indicate you wanna open a can o whoop ass

Chevy305

6 Lug 14bsf Status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Fully agree ^^^

5th gen Camaro and C6 vette drivetrain take outs are on ebay all day long for $6-9k. That sounds like a lot but you get a monster drivetrain: LS3 and a TR6060. Speaking from my own experience with them I want to say its the best combo ever put together. (Man I regret selling my '12 Camaro :doah:)

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Fully agree ^^^

5th gen Camaro and C6 vette drivetrain take outs are on ebay all day long for $6-9k. That sounds like a lot but you get a monster drivetrain: LS3 and a TR6060. Speaking from my own experience with them I want to say its the best combo ever put together. (Man I regret selling my '12 Camaro :doah:)
I didn't realize you sold your camaro.

considering it's a combo, that's far from a bad deal. Been looking all over the place tonight and even if we wanted to do just motor right now it's really reasonable. 525hp ls3 for 7k.

Stomis

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
Keeping those rear over fenders?

My vote is also for LSX, aluminum at that too. Get the weight off that nose. Those cars can handle great with some upgrade, especially in the bushing department.

Also make sure you trade the rear camber bars out for some double adjustable aftermarket ones and ditch the crappy cam lock stockers.

Chevy305

6 Lug 14bsf Status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I didn't realize you sold your camaro.

considering it's a combo, that's far from a bad deal. Been looking all over the place tonight and even if we wanted to do just motor right now it's really reasonable. 525hp ls3 for 7k.
Ya life got in the way and I had to consolidate my fleet.

It has been a dream of mine to swap that drivetrain into something else though. I was thinking S10 but a C3 Vette would be awesome. I know the LS3 is 80-100lbs lighter than an aluminum head small block so considering you have an iron head big block the weight savings are quite substantial.

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Keeping those rear over fenders?

My vote is also for LSX, aluminum at that too. Get the weight off that nose. Those cars can handle great with some upgrade, especially in the bushing department.

Also make sure you trade the rear camber bars out for some double adjustable aftermarket ones and ditch the crappy cam lock stockers.
Yeah, rear fenders actually look amazing IMO. Other than some suspension tweaks, the stance is great.

Stomis

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
Yeah, rear fenders actually look amazing IMO. Other than some suspension tweaks, the stance is great.

To each his own. If you like em, or rather if your wife likes em! then rock the shit out of em. They strike me as something that may look really over the top in a picture but might look great in person.

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
To each his own. If you like em, or rather if your wife likes em! then rock the shit out of em. They strike me as something that may look really over the top in a picture but might look great in person.
The deep wheels and wide tires fit it really well, I think. I'll definitely take more pics once it's home and see what you think.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
IF, When you get rid of those BBC sidemounts I want first dibs on em!!!! Seriously!!!

and when you blow the stocker rear diff, I gotta guy that'll do this and/or more...he can make a 12 bolt out of the stock diff assy.

AssembledRH.jpg

Z71paramedic

Wait....What???
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
IF, When you get rid of those BBC sidemounts I want first dibs on em!!!! Seriously!!!

and when you blow the stocker rear diff, I gotta guy that'll do this and/or more...he can make a 12 bolt out of the stock diff assy.

AssembledRH.jpg
Honestly, the exhaust is one of the biggest reasons I don't want to go LS... It's a thing of beauty (and LS side mount headers are $$$).

That rear center is NICE!

Top Bottom