CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1972 Buick Skylark

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score

Ought to have one rebuilt for pretty cheap. I have a great old school builder in south denver thats awesome and incredibly fair if ya need.
The Chev TH350 I have should be good. I think we'll throw a shift kit in so my son gets that experience. Plus I like the firmer shift and I guess we'll find out how he feels about it. But I'll keep in mind you have a reference because I don't have a transmission go-to. Usually I'm buying a used one that seems good.

What rear gears does it have? Most had 2.56, to 2.73's. The GS cars usually had 3.42's. My 70, 315HP 350 car had 2.56's. People would ask "how fast will it go?" I would always say, " It will go to drive". Past 120mph, past L1, past L2, and stop with the needle pointed straight down at Drive! View attachment 395004
There isn't a tach in the car, not even a cheesy previous owner installed one like I typically end up with. So I don't have any idea what the gearing might be based on rpm/speed. I didn't think to spin the wheels and count the pinion rotation when we were doing the exhaust and we had the rear end on jack stands.

There doesn't seem to be anything sporty about this car; I'm sure it was a family cruiser with 2bbl carb, 4 doors, and AC. So probably the 2.56 gears. Which is still impressive with the acceleration the car has despite the bad trans and boggy carb. Can't wait to see how it does with 4 bbl carb, better trans, and modern ignition.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
While doing the exhaust work, I had the front of the car elevated and a LOT of oil leaked out the back of the motor, enough to fill an 8oz can over 24 hours. It doesn't leak like that from normal driving around.

Wouldn't that tend to indicate the pan gasket is bad?

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Either way I figure if we're dropping the pan we should do the rear main too.

Interestingly, he Buick 350 pan is flat all the way around, no dips at the ends like a chevy.

bix

...Not higher, but lower?
Premium Member
Reaction score
what a cool project for you and Jr.Mrk5 . Love the style of that car. The factory dents look great! Until i have kids of my own ill live vicariously through all you hot rod dads.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes it is flat, get a sneaky Pete tool. the Buick has a rope seal. Buick V8 oil leak kit 2 valve cover gaskets, oil pan and rear main. I loved doing those at the Buick agency I worked for. Customer pay was 5 hours, do a good quality job in 3.
You'll also need RTV to seal the edges of the main cap.

Good luck take picture

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just remember: Don't rev them like a 350 Chevy! They have a smaller bore, than a 283 chevy, and a larger stroke, than a 400 sbc. Embrace the torque!
What is the max overbore On these blocks? Im guessing not much if they are a lightweight casting.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
The Buick 350 is about 125 pounds lighter than a Chevy. I was wondering where the weight savings come from so thinner cylinder walls would make sense.

From some quick searching it sounds like you might get away with .060, but the block should really be sonic checked to be safe.

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, but if you are going to remove it, and rebuild it, why not just start building a 455 now, and just swap them?

Martin

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
No plans to do anything major with the engine at this point. Just reseal the bottom end and add a 4 barrel intake.

I really just want to get it running reliably so he can drive it. Then if he really falls in love with it and wants to do motor swaps and that stuff we will. But I want it to be something HE wants to do.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Got the shift kit installed in the Chevy TH350 I've had from a C10 part out. Only difficulty was getting the pan off. I told Patrick this is what you call an a$$hole amount of RTV.

20211127_172412.jpg

Makes me wonder if there's a sealing issue or someone is just over zealous.

Top Bottom