CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1986 K30 - Rapid Learning

Get 'er cleaned up and solid.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Those 10/12SI alternators aren't wired that way. It needs power on both of the terminals in the small plug, BUT one has to have less voltage than the other ( battery voltage). I know that sometimes just the bulb in the charge light makes enough resistance to make it charge, but I may be remembering it incorrectly.
I think you might have that backwards. I think the CS alternators need the resistance wire or bulb. I have a 12si alternator.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I think you might have that backwards. I think the CS alternators need the resistance wire or bulb. I have a 12si alternator.
I am fairly confident in my information on that. As @imiceman44 said, the CS series has remote sensing, not all factory installations used it, but they were capable of it.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Those 10/12SI alternators aren't wired that way. It needs power on both of the terminals in the small plug, BUT one has to have less voltage than the other ( battery voltage). I know that sometimes just the bulb in the charge light makes enough resistance to make it charge, but I may be remembering it incorrectly.
After doing some looking I was wrong. You do need to have #1 terminal connected to a switched 12V source. If you don't have the idiot light, you may need a diode on that wire to keep it from back feeding the ignition and keeping the vehicle running.

Apparently you don't technically have to have the #2 wire connected. On the SI alternators, the remote voltage sensing is optional. Without it, the alternator uses the charging post to sense voltage.

I was reading all this here: https://alternatorparts.com/faq.html

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Good info.
@shima needs to check the bigger wire in the 2 wire plug for voltage with key off then on. No voltage off, and should see battery voltage with key on.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
After doing some looking I was wrong. You do need to have #1 terminal connected to a switched 12V source. If you don't have the idiot light, you may need a diode on that wire to keep it from back feeding the ignition and keeping the vehicle running.

Apparently you don't technically have to have the #2 wire connected. On the SI alternators, the remote voltage sensing is optional. Without it, the alternator uses the charging post to sense voltage.

I was reading all this here: https://alternatorparts.com/faq.html
And I have seen plenty of SI alternators setup with one wire on that plug.
At first it puzzled me then I learned more about that

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
And I have seen plenty of SI alternators setup with one wire on that plug.
At first it puzzled me then I learned more about that
I still think in a scenario like mine with a bunch of loads that aren't part of the factory harness as well as the non-factory charging wire , it's a good idea to run the #2 pin to the battery and/or where the added loads are connected.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hmm I am not understanding, #2 pin in small plug goes to voltmeter or charge light, no ?
The #1 pin in plug is from ignition switch power.

shima

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I have some reading to do before I can fully understand your comments and suggestions... I'm going to start with the FAQ link that @mrk5 posted earlier.

Last night, I finished installing the new battery cable. The pigtail is just disconnected right now... I wrapped the exposed end in electrical tape.

The truck's starter sounded great when I fired it up, so that's awesome. Unfortunately my voltage reading with the truck running was just below 12V. I had the headlights on when it was running. I also blipped the throttle a few times and tapped the alternator with a hammer.

So next steps for me are to do some reading on that FAQ page and then revisit your guys' responses / comments.

I also picked up some things from Harbor Freight in case I need to do any work on the electrical stuff. I call this the, "I have no idea what I'm doing and hope this is a good start" package:

PXL_20220513_015517663.jpg

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
good start, what diameter is solder ? lead free ? do your self a favor and get some Klein crimpers, Lowes has them for reasonable $.

I have these 2

The blue handle are adequate.

You will see the difference, if you get any time on the HF crimping tool.

going to need some 10ga connectors (yellow)

I still think you have a blown fuse link, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

centexk5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve got ratcheting crimpers for insulated and non insulated terminals that are awesome.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have those too, but most people won't spend the money for them. A set of 3 from Packard Electric. The 2 I linked I keep in my travel kit.

Top Bottom