CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1989 Camaro RS

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mag and aluminum wheel polish on a terry cloth will do wonders for the front parking lights. Doctoring them up along with replacing the grille will really help out the looks.

Front plates ruin the look of many cars. Can you get away with just sticking it in the lower corner of the windshield? That's what I've always done.
I tried that when I first got the car. It was from NC and didn't have a tag bracket. I got pulled over the first week out. Cost me a 3hr round trip to present the pictures of the new tag bracket installed to the judge and get it dismissed.

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who put it on the air dam underneath the radiator. cops usually do not approve though.

Martin

USSkoval

Thornbirds look cool... Yeah, I said it
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried that when I first got the car. It was from NC and didn't have a tag bracket. I got pulled over the first week out. Cost me a 3hr round trip to present the pictures of the new tag bracket installed to the judge and get it dismissed.
Lol, that's unlucky. In roughly 12 years having a 3rd gen as a daily driver, I only got busted for it once, and I got let off with a warning to fix it. I had the plate on the passenger side of the windshield and the officer stopped me because he couldn't see a front plate displayed at all from his angle, due to the cowl hood I was running at the time.

Side note: I'll never run a cowl hood again. Coupled with the rowdy exhaust, that damn hood gathered so much attention and everyone wanted a race. After I put a stock hood back on, nobody paid any attention to me anymore. I like it better that way.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol, that's unlucky. In roughly 12 years having a 3rd gen as a daily driver, I only got busted for it once, and I got let off with a warning to fix it. I had the plate on the passenger side of the windshield and the officer stopped me because he couldn't see a front plate displayed at all from his angle, due to the cowl hood I was running at the time.

Side note: I'll never run a cowl hood again. Coupled with the rowdy exhaust, that damn hood gathered so much attention and everyone wanted a race. After I put a stock hood back on, nobody paid any attention to me anymore. I like it better that way.
My 84 had a cowl hood too. I didn't like it much at all. Was a cheap lift off so it wasn't sealed at the back. All the engine heat came in the vents. And it ruined the sleeper look. If I had kept that car, it would be getting some kind of ram EFI setup and a flat hood....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The humidity was murder yesterday. I spent 20 min boxing up some stuff to ship out and was soaked.

I managed to get the hood struts replaced on the Camaro and the driver's side brakes torn down. They smell like they've been sticking a little which just confirms what I already knew.

Hopefully today will be a better day to be in the garage. Between working in the heat all day and that, I was in bed by 8pm. I got out of the shower and sat down on the bed to talk to Julie and nodded off. Just climbed under the sheets.....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorting parts and waiting on the day to cool off a bit so I can get out in the garage and put the driver's side back together. Rockauto shorted me an inner wheel bearing so I'll have to wait on that to arrive. Not a BIG deal and it's the first time I've ever ordered from them and not received everything.

And yes, you guys don't think 83 is that hot, but the humidity here is punishing this week. Maybe it'll rain tomorrow and we'll be done with that for a bit.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
And it looks like I ordered the wrong outer wheel bearings as well.

I've got the caliper and brake hose on the driver's side. I'll try to get the passenger side done tomorrow.

Slow goings for the moment.

Been looking into shocks. TGO members all recommend the Koni "Yellow" adjustable shocks. That's nearly $1k in shocks and struts. If they're worth it then they're worth it. But shew that's a good chunk of change.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
TGO? I’m old, lead me to water here...

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I put koni yellows on my 4th gen, and it handles well. The roads around here are shit so no matter what it doesn't ride like a cadillac but it's not terrible. I also did much stiffer springs at the same time so I couldn't tell you same/same comparison.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I put koni yellows on my 4th gen, and it handles well. The roads around here are shit so no matter what it doesn't ride like a cadillac but it's not terrible. I also did much stiffer springs at the same time so I couldn't tell you same/same comparison.
Cool. It's also supposed to be better to get the 4th Gen rears because they don't have to be taken loose to adjust the way the 3rd Gen do.

How difficult is the adjustment and what settings are you running?

I'm sticking with my factory coils. They don't sag and it handles well enough. I had considered the KYB adjustable shocks but they get a lot of hate on TGO.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
They're not terrible, but it's a little more than just reaching over and and hitting a knob. You set them up, and don't mess w/ them again unless you make big changes to the car. I cant remember what settings I have. I bought springs from Sam Strano, and he gave me settings they're in my email and I'd have to dig them up.

It handles extremely well, rides ok, not terrible esp for the size of the envelope. I've not found a place here where I can really explore the size of the envelope.

3rd <->4th gen it may put you in the ballpark but you're gonna have a different spring rate for sure, which is gonna make a difference.

I realized he's got 3rd gens on his site also. If you go that route, email him ask his advice. He knows what he's doing - he's proven his stripes but he's busy and to the point. So it will probably be a fairly to the point answer. He may not give you all the answers unless you actually buy from him - he enjoys cars but he does need to pay bills.

He's won many scca championships over the years, and knows what he's doing for suspension setup.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the L98 sold before I got it. No big deal though. I have pretty much decided to stick with the 305.

First thing is get the brakes on it. Next will be shocks and struts. It's running good and driving good so I'm not gonna mess for the time being. Just trying to get it cleaned up cruise in it.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
My grill arrived today. Now I've got to paint it. I can't seem to find any particular color names for the trim so I'm thinking one of the Krylon Semi-gloss black should be fine. Too humid this week to try and paint anything. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Of topic a bit but back when the IROC came out I spent a ton of time at the race track, it was a road course and they had a IROC only series. I remember a lot of the cars with the brakes literally on fire!

Last edited:
Top Bottom