CA 1992 4x4 NV4500 needs rebuilt, $650. Twentynine Palms, Ca

Discussion in 'Engine | Tranny | T-case' started by eodcoduto, Nov 11, 2017.

1. eodcoduto

eodcoduto 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I swapped a used 1992 nv4500 into my '85 K20 6.2l diesel and I knew better than to use a used trans. It needs 3rd gear syncros and an input shaft, but I would do a full rebuild to be safe. Now that I am moving in to Maryland in a couple of months I don't have the time or want to screw with it so I went back to my TH400.
    The front has be drilled and tapped for a SM465 bellhousing and this will clock the trans to the passenger side slightly.
    My price is $650 firm. I know this is high for a core, but it is lower than the $800-$1500 used nv4500s sell for in SoCal.
    Pickup only since I am out of town a lot and with the move I don't have the time to get it to a shipper.

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  2. bmxbryant9

bmxbryant9 Let's go wheelin Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Dang! When are you moving?

3. eodcoduto

Mid February, but I am gone most of the time before then.

4. MetalMulishaMarcus

MetalMulishaMarcus Registered Member Premium Member

Since it has been drilled and tapped for the sm465 bellhusing, does it leak from those holes? And does that mean the mechanical clutch linkage would work with this transmission? Sorry just curious as to why someone would drill and tap for sm465 bell. I know its done so you don't have to purchase an AA bell..but what are the other benefits?

Asking cause I have a sm465 right now and wanna go to a nv4500 so I'm interested in this transaction as well.

5. eodcoduto

None of the holes go to the inside of the case so no leaks. I plugged the bottom left factory hole because the new hole goes into it slightly and I didn’t want any cracks. The reason that I did it is because I had the bellhousing and I wanted a hydraulic clutch and the AA adapter isn’t worth the money to me. The mechanical bellhousing would work as well since the early 4500s have the same bearing support outer diameter as the sm465s.

campfire and bmxbryant9 like this.