Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Unrelated Drivetrain Questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NerdBoy, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. NerdBoy

    NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

    Dec 24, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Southern Illinois
    First, a littke history:
    I have an 89 K5 that I purchased last November, and I am trying to make it a daily driver. It has a 2" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. It also has a carbureted 350 with a semi-wild cam, and has quite a bit of torque.
    Question #1: I recently tightened up the bolts on the steering column that hold the tilt wheel brackets in place. After doing this, it became apparent that the previous owner neglected to install a lengthend shift rod to compensate for the body lift, and now the detents in the 700R4 don't line up with the gates in the column shifter. When I pull away from a stop too quickly (I do so like to give it a little gas every now and then), the torque of the motor causes the column shifter to hit a gate, and it shfits out of overdrive, and into drive. Not a big deal, because I can always shift back into OD when I need to, but I am lazy. I am wondering if there is any sort of conversion that I can do to replace the shift rod with a flexible cable, or if there is an easy way to fix this, other than cutting the shift rod and welding a spacer (I don't weld). I would prefer a cable conversion, just because I think it would be easier to adjust, and it would easily compensate for the movement of the engine torque.
    Question #2: The slip-yoke (not the u-joints, they are all new) in the front driveshaft has an exceesive amount of play in it, and I was told that this is rebuildable. However, I can't find anywhere to get parts to rebuild it with. Any ideas about where I could go to find these parts? A new or rebuilt driveshaft is a bit out of my budget at this point.
  2. 350S10NJ

    350S10NJ Registered Member

    May 16, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Southern New Jersey, USA
    #1 If whoever did the BL didn't put the piece in the rod, the rod would not even reach. The best way that I have found to set the shift rod is to block the wheels, set the shifter and tranny to N and tighten it up there.
    If it is changing gears when you hit the gas is sounds like you have a broken motor mount or tranny mount.
    If you are getting that much movement without any broken mounts you could chain down the DS of the motor. My old 71 Firebird would rip the DS motor mount every time I would dump the clutch till I chained it down. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

    #2 I'm not sure on this one, I just go to the bone yard and get another one, sorry

Share This Page