CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

$200 K5 (454 K5 soon) Screw TBI, ProFlo4 install starting!

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never did a build thread for this K5. I find myself forgetting to take pictures while working on it. Build threads need pics so I will try and keep up. Moving to another stage on this one so time to start up a thread.

I was gathering parts for a Jeep build, 73 jeepster commando. Idea was to swap 3/4 ton GM under it for 37" tires.
jeepster.jpg
Before I got started I went to an auction. One of the items was a '90 K5. There were a bunch of household items, tools, guns etc. While signing in there was a picture of a K5 on blocks, located about 45 min away. They wanted to sell it during the auction but could only say that it was sitting on blocks for a couple years with a bad trans. I have other squares so I figured whatever the price I would be able to use the parts. No real interested bidders when it sold so I got it for $200.
blazerblocks.jpg
When I picked up the paperwork they told me it had some tires and wheels that I could pick up in town. Went and grabbed them to make it a roller and they were brand new Hankook MT on factory rallys. Used them to get it on a trailer and then sold them for $400. Took some doing but I got it to run and drove it onto the trailer.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I had been gathering parts for the Jeep I had a decent stash. '73 D44 front with crossover and a reverse tie rod setup above and behind the axle. Also had a 2002 AAM 10.5 rear axle that I put a Detroit in. Set of 4" springs from another square. SM465 manual and a NP205. Used a GM hydraulic pedal set and bellhousing for the swap.
blazer front.jpg
After I stuffed all those parts in I ended up like this.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I worked on the body next. The Blazer turned out to be almost rust free but lots of dings and dents. Its a great 10 footer now. Cut a lot of sheet metal away and threw on a coat of paint. Mostly to make it all 1 color, I added some half doors which looked crappy in a different color. I also did a softopper with the truck tailgate.
half door.jpg
red.jpg
blazer 2019.jpg

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tires have been:
36x14.5x16.5 TSL radials, pretty worn out
37x12.5x16.5 BFG Baja
38x12.5x16 TSL Bias
37x13.5x17 Toyo MT
By far the brand new Toyos have been the best, all the others were used and none worked very well.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of interior work, seats etc. Drove it all last summer, started working out the bugs. Last fall the stock 350 started to act up. 190,000+ miles of questionable maintenance and then me pounding it around the valley with basically no oil pressure once it warmed up. Certainly the gauge reading wrong, nothing to worry about.
k5snow.jpg

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
So now it still starts right up and drives ok. There is something going on in the motor. Sometimes the noises change and I hear a knock sometimes. Doesn't really bother me, I never planned on this 350 being a long term motor. Pretty sure its eating some crank or rod bearings, or possibly more. Its time to swap out the engine. Back to my parts stash, no 350's available but 2 fat blocks.
454 swap.jpg

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I spent the whole winter playing with snowmobiles and snocats. Now its all starting to melt so I did some snocat repairs from winter abuse and am now ready for the K5. The big question now is which motor to use?
fat blocks.jpg
The engine on the left is a mid 70's 454. Rebuilt 0 miles, sitting in a garage for 10 years after plans changed on another truck. Its been bored and balanced. Mild build, new pistons, edelbrock performer 2 intake and cam. This would be great as its new but I don't know if the TBI will play nice with the edelbrock cam. This motor was going to replace a carb truck 350 but rust stopped that truck from being built.
The engine on the right is a '92 454 from a work truck. It has about 150,000 miles on it, ran great but donor had a bad clutch and rust. When I pulled it I got everything, harness, computer, TBI, accessory drive, all of it. My K5 is a '90 with the factory TBI 350. The '92 454 is a plug and play option for me. It is pretty boring compared to the shiny rebuilt 454 next to it. Carb is NOT an option. Any thoughts on how to make it all work together?
I don't really want to crack open the new 454. I prefer to use what I have but there is some decent budget available for parts. Also don't worry about the D44 front end, I have spare shafts and a D60 under the bench for another phase.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Started seeing what fits last night. The accessory brackets fit fine on the rebuilt 454 so that should work. Same AC compressor as my '90 so that will work too. Anyone know if the TBI intake manifold fits the older 454? Looks like the bolts are in the same place. Edelbrock sells a TBI intake for the older 454 but its $450. It would be nice to use what I have. Or a TBI adapter? Some of the sensors will have to move, oil pressure for sure. Wiring might need extended to move to a different location. Going to call Howell today and see what their input is on chips and the cam.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Howell says probably no big deal at all. They want the cam specs and the rest of the combo but the programing is pretty standard for them. Troy also said they run TBI adapters all the time. Looks like I can probably use an adapter with the intake already on the new engine. Now I just need to get to turning wrenches.

Greg Ducato

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I swapped my 350 to 454 in my 88 Suburban I used the factory 350 harness and changed connectors and wire length as needed. I used the 88 350 TBI computer, a larger modified GM Throttle body, a very mild roller cam conversion, Thorley Tri-y headers and retained the built 700R4 and it worked very well and had plenty of power and torque anywhere I needed it. I used a mail order chip and it seemed to do the job. I probably could have eeked more out of the combination but it ran well enough that I was not inspired to do so.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I swapped my 350 to 454 in my 88 Suburban I used the factory 350 harness and changed connectors and wire length as needed. I used the 88 350 TBI computer, a larger modified GM Throttle body, a very mild roller cam conversion, Thorley Tri-y headers and retained the built 700R4 and it worked very well and had plenty of power and torque anywhere I needed it. I used a mail order chip and it seemed to do the job. I probably could have eeked more out of the combination but it ran well enough that I was not inspired to do so.
I have a suspicion that it will fire right up and run good even with the performer cam. Its just not a radical cam at all. I really just want to make sure the motor doesn't have to come back out. Easy enough to swap stuff right now. I have the 454 throttle body so no issue there. Where did you get your chip?

Greg Ducato

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years but I remember getting a couple of chips from a guy online that sold a bunch of TBI stuff, I don't recall the name right now. I had purchased all the stuff to burn my own but never spent the time or effort to learn/do it and sold it with the Suburban.

Top Bottom