208 to 205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rustbucket, Sep 29, 2002.

  1. Rustbucket

    Rustbucket Registered Member

    Jul 14, 2001
    Likes Received:
    northeast tennessee
    I have an 82 sm465 4 speed with a 208 x-case behind it. I also have a 205 on a parts truck in the yard with an auto trans(don't know which one, it's a 79 model). I want to ditch the 208 in favor of the 205, and keep the 465 trans. Will this be a bolt up job(output shaft wise)? Or will I need to find some more parts? Thanks in advance.
  2. thatK30guy

    thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

    Jan 12, 2001
    Likes Received:
    In order to keep your current 465, you need a 205 from an '85 to '91 one ton truck.

    The '84 and older 205's have a short input shaft and will not work, hence the name "short input shaft."

    If you find a 205 out of an '85 to '91 one ton truck, it will bolt right up to your 465, providing you have/find the adaptor to mate them together. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

    Your 205 from the '79 will not work in any way for this tranny. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif My suggestion for you is to trade it for the '85 to '91 t-case. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Share This Page