Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton find

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rustbucket, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

Hey all, I had just started thinking about changing gears in the 10 bolts from the old 3.08s(man that's a bit pricey) when I looked in the local trader thing and a guy had a 79 3/4 ton parts truck. He says the body sucks, the engine/trans/transfer are gone, but it has d44 front and 14ff rear with 4.11s and a limited slip. He drove this truck and said all was in good working condition(they all say that though, don't they?). He says it has ps box and all brake system on it still. He wants $350 for the axles or $400 for the truck. I think I'll just buy the whole thing cause it'll be easier to just tow it home I think. What do you all think? Is this a good deal? I know there's always that 1 person who got theirs given to them, but this sounds decent to me.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me also. Couple things to think about though.
    - Are 4.11 gears too low for your tire size? (that's a big jump from 3.08)
    - Do you really want a gov-lock? I hear they suck, and the only way you can put a detroit locker in is to start with an open carrier.
    - It may be easier to tow the whole truck home, but how easy is it going to be to get the shell of a truck out of your driveway (or are you just swapping the axles from it to yours and vice-versa)?
    Just my thoughts. If I were offered the chance, it would be hard to pass up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you never know if it really has a limited slip till you open it up for yourself.ive heard the govlok in the 14 bolt is pretty strong.its the ones in 10 and 12 bolts that usually grenades.you will love the power difference you get with the 4.10 gears the axles got.just dont run stock tires.anything over 30 inches will run good.do you have overdrive tranny?this is also a factor for gear ratios.if you have overdrive it wont be much of an issue to run the axles.for that price you will be doing good.slap em under your rig and be happy knowing you have some strength under there. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif