CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

305 with edelbrock 1405 TV cable to th700r4

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 85 k5 from a shop.
They told me the previous owner parked the car in 2014 and started to restore it.
They also told me that the th700r4 was rebuild and a new edelbrock 1405 carburetor was put on.
By the looks of it that's true.
They didn't know if he driven it or adjusted both correctly.
It has a 305 engine.
When driving in town it shifts pretty normal, maybe a little early.
When giving 50 to 100% throttle from standstill it quickly shifts to third gear and stays there while slowly getting to speed.
When driving in town and you give it full throttle it won't downshift.
Looking at the tv cable it does not go in a straight line from the carb to the cable bracket, I guess it's the original tv/throttle cable bracket.
At full carb opening the TV cable is also fully pulled out.
So at full throttle opening it should shift correctly and downshift or not?
Would there be a valve stuck in the th700r4 from sitting so long?

What tv/throttle cable corrector bracket did you guys use on a 305/350 engine with a edelbrock 1405 or 1406 carb mated to a th700r4?
I've already searched but there are so many different brackets that should fit according to the specifications but they al look different.
Or should I just buy a adjustable bracket?

I hope I placed this in the correct forum section.
IMG_20211223_170916.jpg IMG_20211223_170922.jpg IMG_20211226_204013.jpg

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
That does look like the stock gm bracket. I tried to use the same bracket from my th350 when I switched to a 700r4. I also had the tv cable with adjustable barrel stop.

I ended up with, after many trials and variations, a tci bracket, a GM tv cable for an 87 Impala, and Sonax tv cable spring. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sox-as1-01k
The tv cable is critical on a 700r4,
The throttle spool valve in the valve body needs to start moving as soon as the throttle butter fly valves move.

I would look at Edelbrocks recommend adapter for your carb.
I have a quadrajet and ended up removing the adapter all together.

Welcome we have some EU members but most haven't been active in awhile

Greg Ducato

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
First thing, be sure you are getting wide open throttle at the carb, have someone depress the foot feed while you make sure out in the engine compartment. Second thing, be sure the tv cable is as tight as it can possibly be at wide open throttle. The tv cable and linkage you have on there should work fine together.

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome there aren't much k5s around here in the netherlands.
I have only seen some suburbans out here in the wild:thinking:

Also found out that the distributor vacuum advance line was connected straight to the intake manifold instead of the vacuum switch...
It idles much better now.
After reading a lot it seems that the cables should enter the bracket in a straight horizontal line from where it is hooked up to the carb.
And then the adjusting button on the back side of the bracket on the tv cable should be used to adjust it properly.
So I'll be looking for a correction bracket that bolts onto the back of the carb.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@Rcundergrounder I tried an adapter for the throttle lever from Summit Racing once, but I don't remember which one. It was specifically for Edelbrock carburetors. I eventually bought a kit from Bowtie Overdrives and it works so much better than I could have imagined! I got the one with the integrated throttle cable bracket, but I bent it by accident because of the pedal stop not catching at the correct time. Straighten it out, added a brace for good measure.
The way that the Bowtie kit made the transmission behave is very nice. I do have a Transgo shift kit in mine, so things are somewhat different from stock, however I would still recommend it for an Edelbrock carburetor application regardless.

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
We have a member in Sweden, hasn't been on in a long while. I know of a Ford E200 in the Netherlands and one in Germany. IIRC we have a member in Spain or was Portugal

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Rcundergrounder I tried an adapter for the throttle lever from Summit Racing once, but I don't remember which one. It was specifically for Edelbrock carburetors. I eventually bought a kit from Bowtie Overdrives and it works so much better than I could have imagined! I got the one with the integrated throttle cable bracket, but I bent it by accident because of the pedal stop not catching at the correct time. Straighten it out, added a brace for good measure.
The way that the Bowtie kit made the transmission behave is very nice. I do have a Transgo shift kit in mine, so things are somewhat different from stock, however I would still recommend it for an Edelbrock carburetor application regardless.

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner.
The correct throttle arm adapter from edelbrock was already mounted.
I ended up fabricating my own bracket, I will make some pictures when I'm under the hood again.
When accelerating and driving normal it shifts smooth .
And when flat out it keeps pulling longer in a gear and you feel it shift much harder.
When cruising and you punch the throttle it downshifts now so I assume it's all working correctly now.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. What speed does it shift up to 4th, average throttle?
Does the lock up work?
To test, with a tach, cruising 4th rest your foot on the brake pedal. Just enough to activate the brake lights. The rpm should increase a few 100 rpm.

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will test and write down my shift speeds this weekend.
Stock dashboard so no tach.
There was no vacuum hose on the lockup switch so I have to install it .
If Ive read correctly it goes straight on the manifold vacuum together with the distributor advance?
A colleague with more experience with the chevy engines told me he can hear a lifter ticking.
He thought it might be the little holes from the hydraulic lifter got clogged or needed to be re adjusted.
I might aswell put a edelbrock 2102 cam with new lifters in , should help with some beter low end power and a little more punch.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Some of the TCC (torque converter controls) are electric only. Or can be aftermarket converted to electric only.
Mine locks up as soon as it shifts into 4th aftermarket electrical. I am considering adding a delay device to delay lock up a few seconds to allow higher road speed before lock up.

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Took some pictures today.
I chopped the old bracket and re used the mounting holes for the cables.
The throttle cable mount is slotted on the back as there was no other way of adjusting the cable.
I put the rear part of the oem bracket back as it supports the brake booster vacuum pipe.

IMG_20220111_163954.jpg

IMG_20220111_164019.jpg

Top Bottom