CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

38.5x11r16 boggers

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Anyone know what the actual size is for these tires in radial Form? I'd like to pick up a set of radials in this size for towing without changing the look. I know they aren't gonna be cheap and it's not gonna tow well that lifted but I'm doin it! (if I can) thanks

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think @SpeedlabDan asking for the metric radial equivalent so he can buy a comparable size tire. Street tires and off road tires.

If so, google says;

325/80r16 should be 37" tall
395/70r16 should be 38" tall

That said, the chart wasn't specific on the width of the metric tire. Also, when working in metric sizes the height and width effect each other and are effected by the rim size. Meaning, a 395/xxr16 will be physically different from a 395/xxr20. It really gets muddy....

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think @SpeedlabDan asking for the metric radial equivalent so he can buy a comparable size tire. Street tires and off road tires.

If so, google says;

325/80r16 should be 37" tall
395/70r16 should be 38" tall

That said, the chart wasn't specific on the width of the metric tire. Also, when working in metric sizes the height and width effect each other and are effected by the rim size. Meaning, a 395/xxr16 will be physically different from a 395/xxr20. It really gets muddy....
That's what I'm lookin for! I don't want to chew up these boggers on the street and even though they're rated for 2750 I don't want to tow with them. Thanks

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Just a note, the military Michelin XZL tires in 325-85-16 are 38" tall and available in a few places for around 125 each. I can tell you, they dig like crazy and wear like IRON. Downside is they are heavy and take about 10 miles to round out after sitting when cold....LOL Sidewall is easily an inch thick.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just a note, the military Michelin XZL tires in 325-85-16 are 38" tall and available in a few places for around 125 each. I can tell you, they dig like crazy and wear like IRON. Downside is they are heavy and take about 10 miles to round out after sitting when cold....LOL Sidewall is easily an inch thick.
I'll probably need all the 8.1L has to turn em! Lol a good road manner but an aggressive look is all I'm lookin for. This is my tow rig so it'll see highway a bit

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I'll probably need all the 8.1L has to turn em! Lol a good road manner but an aggressive look is all I'm lookin for. This is my tow rig so it'll see highway a bit

They will be loud but you won't need to worry about strength. Those tires are rated for like 5k lbs each or some ridiculous thing. They actually exceed the standard "E" rating.

6.2Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
As already mentioned there is no such thing as a radial Bogger, and even if there was a radial version it would still be a Bogger and probably not good on the road.

Metric tire sizes really aren't that difficult to interpret, but they are not nearly as straightforward as the normal domestic sizes (height x width x rim size) and usually require a calculator or doing math in your head. However a lot of larger size radial tires have normal domestic sizes.

For reading metric tires, using the example of a 285/75R16

285 = basically the width of the tire in millimeters, so 285 mm divided by 25.4 (mm per inch) = 11.2". If the first number is 255 it is a narrower tire (10") and if it is 305 it is wider (12"). Doesn't matter what any of the other numbers are, the first one is always the width.

16 = size of the rim, so a 16" rim......don't know why the width is in millimeters and the rim size in inches????

75 = aspect ratio of the tire, and where it can get confusing. In this case it means the sidewall height (if you start on the ground at the bottom of the tire and measure up to the start of the rim) in comparison to the width. 75 means 75% of the tire width which is 285. 285 x .75 = 213 mm = 8.4". So starting from the ground and measuring up to the rim is 8.4". Then measure the rim height (in this case 16"), and finally from the top of the rim to the top of the tire which is also 8.4". All of this combined is 8.4" + 16" + 8.4" = 32.8"

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
As already mentioned there is no such thing as a radial Bogger, and even if there was a radial version it would still be a Bogger and probably not good on the road.

Metric tire sizes really aren't that difficult to interpret, but they are not nearly as straightforward as the normal domestic sizes (height x width x rim size) and usually require a calculator or doing math in your head. However a lot of larger size radial tires have normal domestic sizes.

For reading metric tires, using the example of a 285/75R16

285 = basically the width of the tire in millimeters, so 285 mm divided by 25.4 (mm per inch) = 11.2". If the first number is 255 it is a narrower tire (10") and if it is 305 it is wider (12"). Doesn't matter what any of the other numbers are, the first one is always the width.

16 = size of the rim, so a 16" rim......don't know why the width is in millimeters and the rim size in inches????

75 = aspect ratio of the tire, and where it can get confusing. In this case it means the sidewall height (if you start on the ground at the bottom of the tire and measure up to the start of the rim) in comparison to the width. 75 means 75% of the tire width which is 285. 285 x .75 = 213 mm = 8.4". So starting from the ground and measuring up to the rim is 8.4". Then measure the rim height (in this case 16"), and finally from the top of the rim to the top of the tire which is also 8.4". All of this combined is 8.4" + 16" + 8.4" = 32.8"
Yes that's how it was explained to me as the second number was a percentage of sidewall guess I'll do the math and double check the measurements. Thanks!

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
They will be loud but you won't need to worry about strength. Those tires are rated for like 5k lbs each or some ridiculous thing. They actually exceed the standard "E" rating.
Yes I deal with the 46" Michelin here at work all day and they are super beef but I'm sure a bit more than I'm needing

Top Bottom