Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the process for swapping a TBI 454 in place of a TBI 350. 454 is out of 1990 burban, going into 1990 K5.
    Also anyone interested in buying my complete TBI 350. It has under 3000 miles. Come drive it before I pull it. Any help is appreciated.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

get the harness and computer,all the brackets for the accesories ETC.IMOif its under the hood or connected to under the hood get it cuz ya might need it.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

3. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

The way i understood it was that the harness was the same, i just had to change the ECM, and discontinue the Spark control module because it is non existent on the '90 454. I know a '92 up 454 TBI is different from a '90. I could be 100% wrong though. Also, does anybody know thye horsepower and tourqe ratings on a '90 454 TBI

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

thats possible id grab it in case.unless someone else has done it and can say for sure.if it were me id grab it all to be sure,those little sensors and stuff add up if ya gotta buy em.do you have the whole truck or just pillaging it for what you want?

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

5. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

I talked to a guy at a local fuel injection shop. he said that the TBI is a fairly simple setup. He also noted that there is not much difference between 6,8, or BB setups. He says that the 454 should use the same harness because of it's desing. He said in fact that I wouldn't even need to change the computer, just the chip. I can get anything I want off the truck. Like you said better safe than sorry. He said the 350 uses a spark control unit which is mounted somewhere on the engine and run by vacum. Much like a electronic pickup device for vacum advance. He said that the 454 probably does not have this, that it is included in the 454's chip. He say simply not plugging it in will work fine. I don't know though. I'm going to look at it. What if any sensors or components I don't have should I look for? It appears all connectors are the same. You mentioned something else though. A brief description and it's purpose would help a lot.
    Thanks for the Help.