Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kustom71, Oct 25, 2003.

1. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Hey,I was checking things out today cause its getting cold out and so i put my 86k5 in 4wd took a ride around the block and when i made a turn the left front was clicking but not like it was binding up from too tight a turn but like it was slipping or something.Anyone have any idea what i might check or do now before its to late??Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You shouldn't drive on dry pavement or other high traction surfaces in 4WD. The clicking is probably an auto hub that is no longer working properly.

Rene

3. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

i know about the dry pavement thing but i was just checking to see if everything works.Is there a way to rebuild the hub or do I have to buy a new one,any other options??

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nope you can't rebuild the auto hubs, they are trash anyway. Get yourself a good set of manual locking hubs. Takes about 30 minutes to put them in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Sorry,I screwed up I have manual hubs both were locked in and I was just trying out 4wd to see if there were any problems i wasnt making a tight turn and it started clicking.If I put new manual hubs in would that fix it???

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It doesn't matter it you were making a tight turn or a slight turn, manual hubs or automatic hubs, just the fact that the tires are rotating at a different rate will cause it to bind and break something. Even if one tire is slightly worn more than the other and driving in a straight line might cause binding, even if it looks like the tires are worn the same amount. It just isn't a good idea to drive on dry pavenment with the fronts locked, unless you're bored and want to fix something.

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Before you buy any parts, pop the cap off and check the hub out. The teath might not have fully engaged or something (could have too much grease in the hub). If everything looks okay, whipe off the any excess grease and slap them back together and check the 4wd out on some dirt...

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't matter it you were making a tight turn or a slight turn, manual hubs or automatic hubs, just the fact that the tires are rotating at a different rate will cause it to bind and break something. Even if one tire is slightly worn more than the other and driving in a straight line might cause binding, even if it looks like the tires are worn the same amount. It just isn't a good idea to drive on dry pavenment with the fronts locked, unless you're bored and want to fix something.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can drive all day with the hubs locked on dry pavement with no problem. What you don't want to do is drive with the T-case in 4 wheel drive. Most of us have a differential that allows the each front wheel to turn indepentant of the other, not a problem (unless it welded). Unless your truck is a full-time four wheel drive, it doesn't have a center differential (between the front and the back, in the T-case). So when you drive on pavement with it locked in 4 wheel drive the small differences in final gear ratios and variations in road surfaces create pressure on your drivetrain that can break stuff.