5.14 GEARS IN 10 BOLT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG B., Apr 16, 2003.

1. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

OKAY, SO IM LOOKING ON EBAY AND I FIND WHERE I CAN GET A RACK AND PINION SET, 5.14 RATIO, FOR CHEAP. I HAVE THE 8.5" 10 BOLT WITH 3.73. THE SELLER SAYS THAT THEY WILL FIT. I THINK IT WILL WORK, BUT I WANT TO KNOW EVERYBODYS OPINIONS.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

:nuke:

quick! everyone buy stock in pinion manufactuers!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> First off, the all caps thing is annoying and hard to read. Here are my thoughts -

5.13s are pretty deep, what size tire are you running on that 10 bolt?

Pinions for 5.13 gears for 10 bolts have like 5 teeth on them, strength is not a major feature.

You're going to have a hard time fitting a rack and pinion in an axle housing. A Ring and pinion will work better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Be careful with used gears, they're harder to set up and might be trashed, get lots of good detailed pics before you buy.
    </font>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is probably 5.13's. But yes that ratio is available for a 10 bolt. The only problems I have heard of with them is the pinion gets kinda small, and the pinion teeth on ring gear teeth gets kinda low which causes more pressure and a better possibility of breaking off teeth.

5. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

Sorry about the all caps. I would rather by new gears any how thanks for the info.