CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

6.2 turbocharged popping

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I put the third transmission on my 84 suburban and took it for a test drive, made one loop around the block, everything going good then I get a big bang, and it starts to sputter, I pushed it a little and it pops, continuous popping as long as I have my foot in it and it's smoking big time.
I thought a bad injector so I ran some purge through it and it felt like it smoothed out a little bit and it didn't smoke at idle but driving it around it was still smoking and popping.
I loosened the injector lines one by one and couldn't find an injector that is the culprit.
I hear the popping at idle through the intake and out the tailpipe.
Any thoughts.
One thought is burnt valve but I didn't drive it enough to burn, literally one mile loop.
Could it be timing, skipped a tooth on the chain or something?
I can live with the popping but the white cloud that follows me will attract the cops and hate from everyone

joshuak

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a 6.2 with timing gears that were one tooth off, started and ran fine but excessive white smoke.

Real mosquito fogger.

88815092-D8BC-4AF8-818F-5BE235977F63.jpeg

Last edited:

Big Ray

Doing O.K. For An Old Fat Man!
Premium Member
Reaction score
No idea...

Had a Harley that did something similar, but wasn't rideable.

Turned out to be the valves were sticking in the guides.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I put the third transmission on my 84 suburban and took it for a test drive, made one loop around the block, everything going good then I get a big bang, and it starts to sputter, I pushed it a little and it pops, continuous popping as long as I have my foot in it and it's smoking big time.
I thought a bad injector so I ran some purge through it and it felt like it smoothed out a little bit and it didn't smoke at idle but driving it around it was still smoking and popping.
I loosened the injector lines one by one and couldn't find an injector that is the culprit.
I hear the popping at idle through the intake and out the tailpipe.
Any thoughts.
One thought is burnt valve but I didn't drive it enough to burn, literally one mile loop.
Could it be timing, skipped a tooth on the chain or something?
I can live with the popping but the white cloud that follows me will attract the cops and hate from everyone

Is it hard to start?

Ignoring the noise, does it produce good power when it's running?

Are you getting normal or diminished amounts of boost?

My first thought is timing chain skipped a tooth, but that should have affected these items. If so, you will be able to compensate somewhat by adjusting the IP timing. If that solves your issue, you'll have good confidence it's a timing issue. Could also be the IP suddenly getting loose, as that would also throw off the timing.

Any idea how worn the timing set is? Is the chain loose?

Last edited:

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Head gasket, cracked head or block. Just a random thought.
More so wanted to reply to find out what the actual problem is.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to start?

Ignoring the noise, does it produce good power when it's running?

Are you getting normal or diminished amounts of boost?

My first thought is timing chain skipped a tooth, but that should have affected these items. If so, you will be able to compensate somewhat by adjusting the IP timing. If that solves your issue, you'll have good confidence it's a timing issue. Could also be the IP suddenly getting loose, as that would also throw off the timing.

Any idea how worn the timing set is? Is the chain loose?
It starts pretty easily, but maybe a couple of revolutions more than before but it's also colder now.
Boost is still the same at 8psi
It feels a little weaker but otherwise runs decent other than the plume of smoke trailing and the popping continuous.
I have it trapped now so I can't drive it but I will take a video to show the smoke and the sound.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is a rockerarm button. Compression test is fairly easy on those.
Tell me more about this.
I have the compression tester for diesel somewhere so I could do that but what do you think happened?
The button popped or twisted or what?
It is steel if I remember correctly right?

bigblock454

Clack Clack Clack
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about this.

There is a nylon button that holds both the intake and exhaust rockers in place. Those are known to get brittle over time and break off allowing the rocker to slip off the valve.

Assuming your IP is tight and hasn't shifted a compression test is probably the next easiest thing, and might tell you which side to tear into first. A slipped timing tooth I guess is possible but i'd think that much of a shift would really be noticeable in starting/performance.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a diesel but I have had popping out the intake. Been a while, 15 years ago probably. I had wiped out a lobe on the cam. I think it was an exhaust lobe. When the intake valve would open the extra pressure would "pop" back out the carb. It would start right up and drive around the block ok, popping the whole way. Pulled the cam and 1 lobe was round. I had messed up the valve lash during a previous adjustment, went too tight trying to quiet down the valvetrain. If you have popping out the intake it sounds like a timing or valve issue to me.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a nylon button that holds both the intake and exhaust rockers in place. Those are known to get brittle over time and break off allowing the rocker to slip off the valve.

Assuming your IP is tight and hasn't shifted a compression test is probably the next easiest thing, and might tell you which side to tear into first. A slipped timing tooth I guess is possible but i'd think that much of a shift would really be noticeable in starting/performance.
This might be the most possible explanation.
It happened suddenly and I had only warmed it up and drove around a one mile loop and it popped with a bang and that's all she wrote

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score

I guess I will be checking my other heads for those parts then possibly checking for new buttons.

Top Bottom