Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77JimmyMan, Apr 26, 2002.

  1. 77JimmyMan

    77JimmyMan Registered Member

    May 16, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Southeastern MA
    Im looking to put a 700R4 overdrive unit in my 77 Jimmy with a NP203 t-case. Since I have to buy a new output shaft anyways from Advanceadapters, couldnt I get one (700R4) out of a 2wd car, truck or van (one that came with a 305 or 350 engine)? I dont see why that wouldnt work. Any opinions or personal experience input would be great.
    Thanks, Mark
  2. dyeager535

    dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

    Dec 13, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Roy WA
    I don't see why this wouldn't work....the "tailhousing" unbolts, new output shaft, and you should be done.

    Not sure if the 700's had the car/truck case difference like the 350 did, but I've heard a rumor that Astro cases are "better" than cars, although the internals would have to be the same.

    Look for an '88 up core, very easy to spot, large half circle casting mark on the passenger side, passes through the tranny coolant line ports.
  3. 4X4HIGH

    4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

    Dec 14, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Pleasanton, CA.
    Yes you can install the output shaft into a car tranny and it will work. You will however not get the thick K case that the trucks use. And as previously stated, make sure you get a 88 or newer tranny. GM had the problems with the 700R4 all fixed by then.

Share This Page