CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
ashman submitted a new Build:

'72 K5 - Old Yeller - back on the road

I've loved 67-72 blazers since my first one back in high school. it was a rusted out POS, but I loved it. about 12 years ago I bought another one with the intention of treating it a little better. :D

I fixed my '72 up about 10 years ago, but its been parked outside so, I'm going to have to do it again soon. I also took a lot of shortcuts last time that are biting me now. :doah:

I found some info from CK5 way back then, and rejoined a few months ago in order to hopefully do a better job this time. since I've been lurking for awhile now, I figured it was time for an intro thread, and a recap of where I'm at.

I started out with a basically stock blazer, but with plenty of utah rust... a lot more than I thought I'd have when I got started. :(
View attachment 119440
View attachment 119441
View attachment 119442
View attachment 119443
View attachment 119444

page-4 Hydroboost and windstar fans
page-13 Removable rear seat mod
page-14 First Gen windshield bar for soft top
page-18 LS Swap parts - Now it’s actually a build thread!

page-19 pin out for ‘04 LQ4
page-21 Gauge cluster reworked
page-25 Out with the old engine
page-27 Onion peeling at the firewall
page-37 Tank swap

page-39 Start of 4L60e swap
page-44 Swing out tire carrier
page-52 new axle parts!
page-63 Broken frame at the steering box
page-64 Frame fixing magic

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
luckily I had a friend that owned a body shop who was willing to work on it part time. we had to rebuild the rocker boxes, most of the floors, the bottoms of both doors (managed to warp one :doah:), get a doner windshield frame, and replace the hood and tailgate.
unfortunately, as you can see in the first pic, we took some shortcuts and didn't completely clear out the rust under the truck. :(

I did bedline the entire interior though, and that has been a good call.

progress3.jpg

progress1.jpg

progress2.jpg

progress5.jpg

paintbooth3.jpg

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
after a year in the shop, it actually looked pretty good.
I have a 3" body lift, 6" suspension lift (way higher than I want now).
upgrades since then:
soft top, cross-steering, 383/nv4500/208, trac-lock front, gov-lock rear (3.73).

paintbooth1.jpg

paintbooth2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm currently building a new garage to keep it in, so hopefully any rust repair I do will actually last. I'd like to lower it a few inches, get taller gears (I can't even use 5th gear as it sits now), and move to some sort of fuel injection.

I used to take it down to moab a couple times a year, but as you can see, never really built it for that, and honestly I enjoy trail riding and cruising in it a lot more, so my rebuild is going to be for comfort and reliability.

hopefully I'll have some pics soon that were taken less than 10 years ago, with some sort of progress.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looks good. Are those 35's on it?
yes.

thanks for the kind words guys. watching all of your builds is really getting me in the mood to get back to work on mine again.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
got an electrical question for you guru's.

I've got an intermittent problem with one of my front marker lights. keeps acting like the bulb is out, but most of the time works fine. I'm assuming thats a loose ground wire, but not positive.

a new one that just came up when I went to get it inspected is one of my rear brake lights. according to the inspector, it works fine unless the headlights are on, then nothing. I got no clue on that one. any ideas? :dunno:

chalet2506

CK5 Huge Member
Reaction score
I've had some intermittent light problems. Mostly due to old wire splicing by the po. Might want to crawl under the rear and see if trailer harness has ever been spliced in.

Also could be the turn signal cam in the steering column. Pretty sure brake lights are run through it and when it goes it will create weird problems like what you have. Beyond that, I don't know a whole lot.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
been out of town for a few weeks, but once I had a chance to look over the electrical, it turns out no problems to be found. :dunno:

the ground for the front right marker light is still somewhat loose, but I couldn't find any issues with any of the other lights, so I just took it back and had them look at it again, and they passed it. :waytogo:

anyway, since I'm all registered and legal again, I figured I'd take a quick trip up over guardsmans pass to get out of the city.

here is a quick pic to rub it in that I can still drive mine... for now. :doah:
296747_2174755821216_1616436109_2237400_5593254_n.jpg

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What type of mirrors are on your rig?
there is a post in this forum somewhere about them, but they are from a mid-90's ford. you have to modify them a bit, but they work out great once done.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
not a blazer build update exactly, but I'm building a home for it... and its in one of the pics :D
before:
250301_2077476149285_1616436109_2108504_2601356_n.jpg

after:
303680_2185063358898_1616436109_2244771_1786857348_n.jpg

still gotta frame up and finish building the garage, but the concrete is in!

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
quick question for you guys. I'm trying to make my own side panels for the bed area. I've got them cut, but I'm not sure how they are supposed to attach at the front.
it looks like the panel is supposed to slide behind the B pillar, but I'm not sure how to attach it like that in a way that makes any sense.

here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

NorCal69

Professional Nail Bender
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I just dug out my originals for you. It looks like they were mounted to the outside of the b, not the inside like yours is now. I took some pics but I'm on my phone. I can upload later if you need.

Greg72

#MIGHTASWELLK5
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, to the outside just behind the weatherstripping....

The board will have to bend as it goes over that b-pillar, but that is how the factory did it too.

:usaflag:

Top Bottom