'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build

Average User Rating:
5/5,
  1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build(s):

Thanks for that! :waytogo:

I found some good spec tables on the VIAIR website that converted CFM to Liters/Minute.... that was easy enough to convert to Gallons/Min.

From that original CK5 thread, I was able to do a rough estimate of tire volume on my 38's.... 42 Gallons per tire at sea level. :yikes:

It sounds bad, but it's not really. If I was trying to get from say 12psi trail pressure to a likely road pressure of 25psi... I need 151 Gallons of air from the compressor / tank setup.

At the pressures I'd be working at, the VIAIR 400C will put out 16 Gallons per minute... and if I use 2 compressors I can fill all 4 tires (from 12 to 25psi) in just under 5 minutes.

(This assumes there is NO air tank in the system.... this is just 2 compressors pumping straight into the tires)

Where I'm stuck now is finding some kind of conversion that will explain how to convert a 2 Gallon air tank (@ 120psi) to a pressure like 25psi to understand how much effect it will have on those 151 gallons I need.... presumably, the tank will dump it's pressure just about instantly, and the compressors will then need to fill not only the remaining air needed for the tires, but will also have to "backfill" the 2 gallons of missing air from the tank once it purges itself into the tires??? :thinking:

Anyway, I feel like I'm getting pretty close to the answer.... I just need to find the next formula.

-G

2. Greg72

Build(s):

Unfortunately, it FAILS my aesthetic requirement.

I'm not installing a big, clunky YORK in my beautiful engine bay. :)

-G

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not to belabor your thoughts but I wonder at what point the air line size is the actual limiting factor? Most accordian lines that I've seen are a 1/4" line and will only flow so much. You can increase SCFM, tank storage etc. but when does the line size keep you from filling faster?

I have a typical rol-air twin tank construction type compressor as my garage compressor. It's not a killer large compressor by any means and it a total of 9 gal. of storage at 140 psi, when filling tires it's working the whole time. Just as an example. It's either a 7.3 SCFM at 90 PSI or 8.2 as I don't recall what the motor size is.

You might consider what a standard 1/4" air hose and tire chuck will flow and just make sure the compressor is supplying that plus some at say 40psi. Running air tools is a thing of the past IMO since battery powered tools are getting so good, battery impacts, grinders, etc. are too easy to have around now.

For a matter of practicality the twin ARB compressors kick ass, couple that with a few gallons of air storage and rock on. Spend brain power on other things.

blazinzuk and kgblazerfive like this.
  4. superbuickguy

superbuickguy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Your calculation fails because all that air has to go through a 3/8" line.

Ya know, I could actually film the filling of a tire with either.

And who ya calling ugly? :)

5. Greg72

Build(s):
    This was my next concern. I drilled out my valve cores to a larger size to increase flow, but your point about the line sizing is definitely valid. :waytogo:

Brandon,

Agree. It may not seem relevant to where I should be spending my time but it really IS actually.

My new punchlist requires me to run all my fuel lines, brake lines and air lines... and I need to find a home for an airtank somewhere in the limited remaining space. I can easily fit a 1 gallon....or two 1 gallon tanks. A centrally mounted 2 or 2.5 gallon tank is directly above the rear driveshaft (which feels uncomfortable to me for some reason) but it looks like it will fit. The VIAIR compressors are tiny and I can hide them behind the rear bedside trim panels (assuming they are quiet enough)... I also have a few larger spaces underneath that would work... and if I went with a larger electric compressor like an OASIS or ExtremeOutbackProducts my mounting options are more limited due to their size. (Cost is stupid also -> BTW). I like the idea of two small-ish compressors running in tandem since they split the work, and if one ever failed I can still use my ARB lockers and fill my tires (albeit slower) until I had a chance to swap the bad part out.

Ultimately, I'm just trying to convince myself about what parts I need to order so that I don't spend time fighting for valuable frame space unless it really provides some value.

-G

6. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Not sure how much help this is, but I've got a 5gal portable tank that I use to air up smaller tires. 215/50-15's I think. and I can do all 4 from about 5-10 up to 26 on 1 fill. With the tank at 90psi - it drops to about 35-40 psi...

7. superbuickguy

Build(s):
    I'm seriously considering adding a second valve on my wheels to speed up filling.

8. superbuickguy

Build(s):
    Ya know, if you're all concerned about looks and weight - you could go true old school

[​IMG]

for the pups, you remove a spark plug, connect the hose and fill your tires.... it's not too explosive.

kgblazerfive and Greg72 like this.
  9. Greg72

Build(s):

LOL..... yeah that vaporized fuel mixture pumped into the tire would be amazing for re-seating a blown bead!!!

-G

10. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Line size, think low rider air bag trucks, the larger the lines you run to the air bags the quicker you can dump and fill each bag. I'd do 1/2" air line. It is a pretty common size on most big rigs for a lot of the air system.

11. Greg72

Build(s):

The valvestem core (and in my case, the rotating union inside the portal boxes) are the choke point that I need to worry about....

-G

12. superbuickguy

Build(s):
    In many ways it's a miracle we survived.

Greg72 likes this.
  13. miniwally

I forgot you have the CTIS deal.

I still say your going to be at 95% of perfect just getting the ARB twin comp. (Or equivilent other brand) 2 gallons or more of storage and call it done. Plumb in several isolation valves so that when the compressors go down you can isolate just the ARB's and use a small CO2 tank to run them.

I understand your path and why it all matters in the long game. But I think you've already determined that two 1 gallon tanks work, then I bet the size differences of the compressors is minor. Much more beyond this is letting you DOC (see I put those letters out of order to cause a massive brain malfunction) take over.:flipoff7:

AgDieseler, NorCal69 and Greg72 like this.
  14. miniwally

I remember being on the farm in OK with my Grandpa and having to top one of the tires on the truck off with the bed mounted propane tank. We did that several times that summer, I was young enough I had no clue, I thought it was just like air, even though the truck ran off of it. Hehehe, holy shit I could have died. And we at one point had the ole' take out the spark plug and fill the tire adapter as well.

JoshHefnerX likes this.
  15. superbuickguy

Build(s):
    beat the snot out of walking or riding horses....

16. AJs72K5

AJs72K5 blub-blub-blub-blub Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Wasn't there discussion at one point about using the cage as the air tank? Or am I remembering something different?

NorCal69 likes this.
  17. NorCal69

NorCal69 Professional Nail Bender Premium Member

Build(s):
    It was a long time ago. But now the tube is going to be plum full of wires for mood lighting, solar panel cables to power his under seat servers, so probably some cat 5, maybe some liquid nitrogen tubing for radiant air conditioning. You know, normal stuff.

18. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

Jealous, aren't we!!!:biggrin::biggrin: Don't give him anymore items to distract him for his GOAL.:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

NorCal69 likes this.
  19. Greg72

Build(s):
    That was supposed to be a secret... shhh!!

:haha:

-G

frankin5 and NorCal69 like this.
  20. NorCal69

NorCal69 Professional Nail Bender Premium Member

Build(s):
    Sorry brother, I thought that was the other plan?? I don't know how you keep all this stuff strait. I'd be pulling my hair out! :wink1:

frankin5 likes this.