Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

75 Body on 79 Frame ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WinnipegK5, Nov 28, 2003.

1. WinnipegK5

WinnipegK5 Registered Member

Does anybody know if I can drop a 75 Blazer body onto a 79 frame without a big hassle?? I do not have a 75 to look at to compare the floors and/or body mounts.

Thanks
    Mike
    Winnipeg,MB

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

75 and 79 chassies should be identical on blazers, they are forpickups, but GM claims they made a frame modification in 76 or 78 for cat converters,

but converters have been in 75 so i dont know what they mean
    but still doesnt affect body mounting though

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    The 75 doesn't have the rear footwell like the 79 would have. The frame drops differently in this area and the body mounts are also different. The 75 used a raised crossmember and inboard mounts, the 79 would have outboard mounts in that area.

I more or less did this exact swap and that area was a big pain in the rear to get right. I had to build a custom crossmember/bodymount support which took a fair bit of head scratching and time.

FWIW the cut-off year for the early/late rear footwell change was 77. That was the last year of no footwell and 78 was the intro year for the footwell.

Much easier to put a 75 body on a 77 or older frame...however the older body on a newer frame is easier to do than a newer body on an older frame.

Here are the pic's of what I did. That's the rear half of a 73 being spliced to the front half of my 81 Jimmy.

http://community.webshots.com/album/56289905xFbwfK

Rene