'79 Smokey and the bandit trans am super cheap near me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status Premium Member

\'79 Smokey and the bandit trans am super cheap near me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481199351&category=6427

I chatted over email with this guy before he listed it on ebay, he's selling it for $350 locally, down from $1000 a week ago (very impatient I guess). The car is more or less rotted out (he sent me pics, the rear window's rotted beyond my skill to repair), but for that motor, tranny, nose, and rear, I was tempted to buy it myself...

Anybody interested? I can't store it for you, but if you're totally seriously interested, I might be able to cruise by there and check it out a little closer. He's a fair ways away from me, so it's not really a hop skip and a jump toget there, but this is a tempting deal...

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Re: \'79 Smokey and the bandit trans am super cheap near me

One of these days I hope to buy one. But I really don't want to have to do any body work. I have a cuda now that needs body work, and I vowed never again.

I would like to build up the 400, factory was only rated at 195hp, and drop in a 6-speed tranny behind it. Then set up suspension and brakes to make it into a sweet road racer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Smokey and the Bandit rulz! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In the long run, it's probably cheaper to just buy one from a non-salted state that doesn't need $15K in body work. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

I restored one about 7 years ago and parts was a PITA to find back then. Restored and suped up the motor, a few weeks later, wrapped around a telephone pole /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AHHHH thats nothing a little diamond plate wouldn't fix /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status Premium Member

That's true, but I was thinking cannibalize it. Restoration is a pretty biiiiig project for this car...

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    AHHHH thats nothing a little diamond plate wouldn't fix /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "Redneck is as redneck does, Sir!" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Current bid is $51.00

Take the engine out and take the hulk to the boneyard! They might give you $50 for it.

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some people do restore worse. Pretty much gonna need a second car and basically transfer all you can to the second one ( vin plates cowl tag...........oh thats Gone in 60 Seconds , oops ) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

man wish I had a place to put that, and a way to have it here cheap. would cost more than it's worth just to get it to TX