CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

'83 K10 SB "L1TSBFIBBC" build (...Dirt Drags)

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
folkenheath submitted a new Build:

'83 K10SB L1TSBFIBBC build

So I have been asked by more than a few people why I don't have a build thread for my truck. I have been working on this thing for 8 years now, and every year I do something else to it, but I always try to keep it in operating condition so I can still have fun with it, and at this point, it has become a project to convert my 1983 K10 shortbed that had a 305/700R4/NP208 and 10 bolts to what it will be by this summer, a Short Bed with a big block, linked with coilovers and 1 tons front and rear. Now, much of that work is already done, so I am going to start at the beginning so everyone can see what I started with, and work up to present day(my sig), where I still need to add EFI and build a dual triangulated 4 link rear suspension. So I will dub this build the L1TSBFIBBC…”Linked 1 Ton Short Bed Fuel Injected Big Block Chevy” build.

View attachment 230858

Read more about this build here...

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
2003, original purchase

I bought the truck back in the summer of 69 ‘03, almost stock, maybe 2 lift on 33s in San Antonio TX. (I grew up in NW IL, lived in Plano, TX for 2 years after college(Platteville, WI), now I live in MI for the past 6 years.)
If the regular users can’t see these pictures let me know, I may try hosting them differently.
Here’s what I started with…the paint was OK, not what I would of picked but not bad. It’s the ONLY thing (besides the rear window) I haven’t rebuilt, replaced, or modified at this point)…

Picture 1b.jpg

Picture 2b.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

…The front had been in a collision, and I didn’t realize how bad until I started fixing the thing. The left front framerail was bent somewhat, all the way back to the engine mount, and both front frame rails were teaked some. I had to use a sledge and bottle jack to bend the frame back to get the L radiator support body mount back in. Also, both doors, front fenders, and radiator support are cheap aftermarket replacements...

Picture 6.jpg

Picture 5.jpg

According to the PO, these hood louvers were “factory”, whatever…

Picture 19.jpg

No rust!...

Picture 10b.jpg

Picture 11b.jpg

Awesome rear departure angle! (I sold that bumper immediately after I got it home...

rearbumper.jpg

rearbumper2.jpg

The interior was OK, but the dash gauges don't work, and the cobbled gauges under the ashtray are reading incorrectly. Bucket seats are cobbled in with brackets that are way too high (no head room), and bird sh!t welds on the brackets…

Picture 16.jpg

The engine ran OK, but it was a cobbled wiring mess, half the time it wouldn’t even crank because of that, and would overheat on top of it all. Had to carry a screwdriver around for several weeks to jump the solenoid wire and start it up. I replaced the starter, alternator, a lot of underhood wiring, neutral safety switch, etc. Ended up being the wire under the dash that goes to the solenoid was bad. Also, the PO had installed an ammeter under the ashtray and ran EVERYTHING except the starter cable through it, with a twisted and taped connection as well...

engine before.jpg

engine beforeL.jpg.jpg

But overall I was happy with it, no rust, solid truck to start with. I fixed most of the wiring issues and gave it a tuneup, shift kit, new radiator, belts, hoses, new flexplate, etc. Then drove it a couple weeks and wheeled it once like that, before I tore into it.

I hope you enjoy the build, I will be adding more and more pics over the next couple weeks to catch up to present day (in my sig)…

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
First axle swap prep

In planning for my 6” lift, I tried to get as much ready ahead of time as I could since I was doing all of this out of an apartment garage. In the parking lot in front of it. Had to have it on it’s own wheels every night, no matter what. Anyway, I gleaned a lot of info off of this site, I wasn’t a member yet, but was a regular gazer at the site.

I started by meeting my brother and his GF half way between TX and WI in Missouri at the Ozarks for a small weekend vacation. Where I also picked up these axles(my brother hauled them down for me), along with a functioning TH400/NP205 setup he found at a swap meet for me for $600. My father got the axles from a rusted out 76 ¾ ton he bought to part out. I sold my 700R4/NP208 for $350, so not a bad upgrade for future strength.

My father tore the axles out and had them sandblasted, zinc primed and painted by a friend at his business for $75 before my brother brought them too me. After I got back to my apartment, I tore the front D44 axle apart, put in all new brake calipers, rotors, ball joints, seals, warn premium hubs, ORD tie rod, etc. The rear 14BFF got the same treatment with all new seals, plus a Detroit locker and disk brakes with new calipers/rotors. The front got the large pistons, the rear axle I put on the small piston calipers. They are the factory 4.10 gears.

Axles.jpg

DiskBrakes.jpg

And who needs these worthless pieces of trash?... (although who didn’t use that spider gear cross for a nice punch for a long time after the swap?)

TheDifference.jpg

The TH400/NP205 I put in all new external seals, converter, tailhousing, front and rear output flanges, etc. I was told it worked so I used it as is for the time being, no rebuild there, yet…

Last edited:

jekquistk5

Weld nekid
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
looking forward to the radius arms and coilover setup write up :thumb: Still might go that route eventually

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
looking forward to the radius arms and coilover setup write up :thumb: Still might go that route eventually

That will be on here Jess, along with the 489 big block engine build, part of the TH400 build, autometer gauge install, twin sticks, on board air, BB serpentine, front Dana 60, etc...

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lift started in front

Here I am in the middle of it’s first lift. 6” Tuff Country springs up front along with the new 36" TSLs on the 8 lug wheels bolted to the Dana 44. No steering or driveshafts yet. Right behind this picture you can see the white garage door, directly in front of that is where all this initial work took place.
Also, you can see how I bent the front bumper back here, and fixed the front grill assembly with new trim, bezels, and a tube grill...

RF Front Lift.jpg

R Front Lift.jpg

That rear bumper had to go…(didn't have another one yet)

LR Front Lift.jpg

Also, at this point, before I went any further I yanked out the 700R4/NP208, and swapped in the TH400/NP205. I didn’t want to have to order driveshafts twice.

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
First 6" lift installed.

Here is the completion of the first 6” lift, still don’t have a front driveshaft yet, (it was on order from Tom woods). I was limited in my mods doing this from an apartment with limited tools.
I changed the both from axles to ¾ tons, along with the tranny and t-case to TH400/NP205, and 6” Tuff country EZ rides up front on ORD HD shackles, with ORD crossover. The rear suspension is 2” TC EZ Rides with a 4” ORD shackle flip. Also added the 36x14.5 TSL Radials on Extreme Alloy wheels. Realized later I should of never gotten the 16.5s
Both driveshafts are Tom woods, rear is 1350 CV w/ NP205 flange, front on order was GM 3R for higher angle and 4.5 slip”.

CV Rear driveshaft.jpg

This one I wheelied over the camper …

Picture 10.jpg

One of my favorite pics of the original build, just looks right...

Don’t mind the tail light wiring, I hadn’t fixed that yet from the PO cobble job. Also had to cut off the tailpipes to clear the crossover, I'll fix that later...

All braided stainless on the brakes, man does that make for a nice firm pedal...

picture.php

Picture 10.jpg

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Right after I got the lift on, I had to go try and flex it out, didn't even have the front driveshaft yet. I was somewhat disapointed after seeing all the flex here on CK5.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then only a few weeks after, I had moved back to IL (drove the truck 900 miles pulling a small trailer with Buell on the back). Anyway, then I had to go wheeling there, got stuck. It looks like just muddy water, but trust me, we have very black earth there, and my father started to dig a pond with the backhoe here several years before that, it used to be 10 ft deep, but now it has eroded to a couple feet of water and then all mud. I almost made it through there, but had to back up to get a run at it, once I backed up I started sinking in, and every time I touched the gas I would just sink deeper. I didn't have much power at the time, stock 350, didn't even have enough power to sling stuff everywhere in that muck.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

All "doihty" after that day...

picture.php

tyler__820

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Dude that is such a clean and nice looking truck! if i had that i would scrap my car and drive that thing daily. I am definatly suscribed.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
glad to see your build come to the driveway Heath.
I'll be watching the buildup to the final outcome of what I've seen so far.
And the new stuff this winter as well.

Cool buddy.

y5mgisi

1 ton status
Reaction score
DAMN! Why didnt you do this before!!! Im loving the hell out of it already! And from what i understand some crazy **** is about to happen!

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks for looking guys, so this weekend I got the TH400 back together with a new direct drum and sprag, and a 10” Hughes converter, but I’ll get to that later.

Once back where I grew up in IL I did a few minor things to the truck in 2004. Added a ORD bolt in steering brace, got a leak in one of the fuel tanks, pin hole under the strap. So I replaced both with brand new tanks, removed the bed for that.

My Dad had this bumper laying in the weeds, literally. It was from the 73 – 80, but it bolted right on, thanks Dad.
picture.php

Changed the carb to a 600 holley my uncle gave me(Thank you), with a Edelbrock Performer intake I bought for $40 at a swap meet. I thought the thing had a mild cam in it, until I got the new intake on and realized I had a huge vacuum leak in the quadrajet gasket too. No wonder I got 8 MPG all the way back from TX! Anyway, the truck idled so smooth now it surprised me. MPG went up to 10 avg.
Also, put a deep pan on my TH400, and bought a bench seat in pretty good condition for $40 at the same swap meet, now I can haul three people and have more head room.

picture.php

I also continued to get stuck from time to time…the snow makes that easier.
picture.php

picture.php

Here you can see I got the whole thing undercoated, the only thing I ever paid to get done. I priced using many rattle cans of underbody rubber coating, and it was going to cost 2/3 as much as Ziebart anyway.
picture.php

Especially when there is solid ice under it.
picture.php

That was 300 yards from the house. Ran back and got my fathers 1978 K30 to pull myself out while my GF drove mine out.

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My GF and I moved to MI in the summer of 2005. On the way up there I blew a muffler out and melted some tail light wires. So I fixed that and thought, it needs a new exhaust, and more power. After going to silver lake once and barely having enough power to climb test hill in low range, I had to fix that. I couldn't afford to put a BB in yet. So I modified the SB for now.

Tore it down after buying some AL ZZ4 heads from a friend. Ported them, lapped the valves, and installed some comp dual valve springs to go with my new comp Extreme 4x4 hyd cam. And swapped the intake(yes, again) for a performer RPM I got for $50 on eBay (brand new, someone spelled it wrong!) While I had it apart I put a new oil pump in it, double roller timnig chain, new pushrods, etc. And added some hooker headers and a hooker comp exhaust system.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Don't worry, everything was perfectly clean inside the engine when I buttoned it back up. I also realized my quench was HORRIBLE, .070" with no gasket! I think the PO used some crap recon rods and pistons when he rebuilt the bottom end however long ago. Anyway, I put a .015" thick cometic gasket in to get some compression back, and the 58 cc chambers helped too! Went from probably 175 hp to about 340 hp. Night and day difference.

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Back at the dunes the truck was much more powerful. Before I could barely make it up test hill, bog down at the top, downshifting, barely make it. Now I can accelerate up the hill and leave it in 2nd gear.

picture.php

picture.php

Lake Michigan...
picture.php

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I like the thread so far, but just a question, why do you write your posts in that odd font? I usually skip posts written that way. I read yours, but just because I was interested in the build thread.

Martin

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I like the thread so far, but just a question, why do you write your posts in that odd font? I usually skip posts written that way. I read yours, but just because I was interested in the build thread.

Martin

Sorry I haven't really paid attention to the font really, didn't think it was an issue. But what is probably happening is, since I don't want to write all that in a post and possibly lose it before I hit submit, I write it all in word and then just copy and paste it in the thread. I'll see if there is a way I can click it back to normal next time. Looks like this is "verdana", that must be the norm.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The only problem was I busted the front driveshaft, the CV was flopping around like a wet noodle. So I sent it back and got it fixed for free even though it was over two years old, put it back in and busted it again the first trip out. So this time they fixed it for free again but I also had them upgrade it to the long travel (10” useable slip), I paid the difference. I wasn’t sure if it was the extra speed and suspension travel of the sand or what, but I never had a problem up to that point. I was happy with their customer service, and the back d-shaft was plenty strong and vibration free. Next time out I didn’t break it!

In the meantime I tore out all the factory AC junk that was always in the way, and installed a heater only system from a rusty truck my brother was scrapping out. Cleaned up the engine compartment, under the dash, etc. rebuild the thing inside out with all new flapper door seals, etc. It gave me more engine room, header bolts are no problem now. Also, installed the manual cowl vents down by the kick panels, man do those work well, especially in the rain with the rear sliding window open.

Last edited:
Top Bottom