CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

'83 K10 SB "L1TSBFIBBC" build (...Dirt Drags)

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it just be easier to start with a K5 frame?

That's a good question, but I think it would probably take me longer to redo the new frame for the front suspension I custom made than to shorten this frame a little while I redo the back. I have too much time into the front half of this frame.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So since I'll have to wait another year I might as well share my ET efforts thus far with the Regal for those who care about that sort of thing, there is snow on the ground and the tracks are closed for the year.

I know the Regal is not the focus of this build but a lot of these build threads turn into life threads so who cares. I've been to the track only 3 times this year, each time trying to get into the 8s on pump gas with my 3700 lb 4L80E trans 3.60 gear street car, and each time there has been one thing not go my way, it's so comical at this point my family started saying its 9 flat instead of 9 o clock.

Sure, I could put race gas in it and spray it more but that's not my goal. I'm only using a single 068 jet.

Tried in the early summer on a 90 degree day with 90% humidity, the nitrous didn't care but the car was 3 tenths slow on motor, traction was good but I only managed this...

20180601_083805.jpg

So then in the fall I red lit in a bracket race and thought, its a cold day with good traction but a head wind, I'll make a bottle pass for fun.. but with the race going on I ran out of time warming the bottle and rushed to the staging lanes, turned the bottle on, only 720 psi, tried anyway, and it was comical....(can you get any closer)

20181013_170946.jpg

So then I went back a week later to a different track, but there was FWD cars driving through the water box and crap like that so I couldn't hook, tried delaying the juice until after the initial hit and only managed this...

20181018_210302.jpg

I just know there is an 8.93@154 or something in there with a 1.29 60 ft if I can just get all my ducks in a row. Don't get to the track much these days with 3 little ones. Next year right...:haha:Anyone who races at the track knows what it's like to chase the clock for faster times. My cousin has been 215 MPH in a top dragster ride and I am tinkering with only 150 MPH but it's still fun. :D

I won't use race gas until I get an a 8 second run on pump gas....which I know can happen if I can just hook it on a decent weather day. My 60 foot was a tenth slow on the 9.02 pass because I couldn't hook it that day. But the power was there as I was pushing 153 MPH a few times.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
that's a 9.0 bracket car if I've ever saw one :rotfl:

you'll get the 8 next time you're out.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was laughing the last time I pulled up and ran the 9.02, because there was a brand new Yaris looking thing next to me. I think he could race on the road and cops wouldn't even know! ha ha

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well we can't make the dunefest this year but we did make it to the dunes last weekend, had a blast with the whole family and a bunch of friends.

Loaded everything up ready to head out the driveway...

20190718_121359.jpg

Getting everything ready for the dunes at the hotel...

IMG-20190723-WA0033.jpg

Out on the dunes...(it was so windy that day the sand would blast your legs if you stood in the wrong spot). I stopped at the top of test hill and got out and let the kids look around from the truck bed so it blocked the sand from hitting them in the face.

20190721_143219.jpg

20190721_143223.jpg

IMG-20190723-WA0036.jpg

My brother and his kids on the silver lake side (foot traffic only over there)

IMG-20190723-WA0028.jpg

My son trying to drive again a year later (he's almost two)...

20190721_183112.jpg

My family and mother in law (her first trip to the dunes ever)....

IMG-20190723-WA0006.jpg

A little RZR jumping (I had it pegged the whole way (~60 MPH with that run at it) and that was all I could manage on the jump hill they had setup that day with the flagger). It was fun.

Screenshot_20190721-193254_Video Player.jpg

Oh, and the new tires are a night and day difference. Way more traction in the sand. Traction was so good at one point I put it in 2WD to test it, and then when I jumped back in to tool around a forgot for a little while I was in 2WD until I got on it some more. I was just cruising up little hills in 2WD and didn't even realize it. These tires have a lot more bulge at the same pressure because of the lighter sidewalls and the tread pattern worked great in the sand. It went straighter in the sand drags too, less slipping and sliding and countersteering. Absolutely impressed with the new tires.

20190722_100025.jpg

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I also saw Craig @priceygmc on Saturday for a while, was great to hang out with him. He got the OBA all finished on his rig now too, his rig is sweet.

And I saw Nate @Mr.Clean on Sunday (he was in Papa Smurf). I found out Nate moved about 2 miles from the dunes now. He has revalved Papa Smurf about seven times he said, you can tell he has a lot of time tuning the suspension as it works astonishingly well.

Craig sent me this pic he took of the two rigs. I think he'll be there for dunefest this coming weekend...

Resized952019072095140254001002003.jpg

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well, a couple weeks ago I tried something I've wanted too since they came out with it a couple years ago. They do a dirt drag competition at the county fair near my parents house, it's kind of a run what you brung sort of thing, only 250 ft so you have room to slow down, most everyone drives their trucks there and just has fun. I went to have fun, and boy did I! It was a blast, my Dad was there too with the Willys and my brother and his family came and you can here him and my nieces nephews in the stands when my brother took the videos with his phone.

Only two classes, Gas and Diesel, heads up race, and they allowed pretty much anything, I raced not only trucks, but also a mustang on nitrous, a 4WD turbo subaru, etc. My Dad raced a half tube chassis drag type truck first round in the Willys, really light but the 2WD lack of traction couldn't make up for it.

First Round I raced a Mustang on Nitrous, the truck launched harder in the dirt than I am used to on the sand, put a big smile on my face, traction was pretty good but it felt hairy getting stopped before the curve so I was more careful with the finish line after that...

First Round Dad raced the drag truck with the partial tube chassis that was trailered in, it wasn't even close...

2nd round I raced a newer dodge hemi 4wd truck, was pretty much stock I think...this kid was a character, good sport.

2nd round Dad got a bye run because he was last in line we learned..(I was first, trying to avoid each other early on, ha ha)

3rd round Dad raced a Ford Raptor

3rd Round I raced a later 90s/early 2000s chevy 4x4 truck

Here is one of the diesel class races, my cousin racing his friends Cummins dually, both cranked up pretty good.

4th round was only 3 guys left and my Dad and I ended up racing each other because the Subaru got the bye run again. My Dad's a bracket racer at heart and said he didn't deserve to win because I treed him and he was bouncing and decided to let off to avoid an accident, but I think to be honest he just let me win, ha ha. We both knew after the first round we had the fastest two rigs there. He was catching me and then he let off....

Then the final of the gas class, my truck vs a turbo subaru WRX. The crowd was hilarious, it was obvious the county fair crowd wanted the chevy truck to win.

Then since I won the whole gas class they wanted me to race the winner of the diesel class! It was all a blast!

Last edited:

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
@folkenheath

Wildly entertaining!! I suspect your Dad may have let you squeak past, but that was still super cool! :bow:

Nice that they put you up against the diesel at the end and you won that too!

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

@folkenheath

Wildly entertaining!! I suspect your Dad may have let you squeak past, but that was still super cool! :bow:

Nice that they put you up against the diesel at the end and you won that too!

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun!

And I agree, I think my Dad could of easily taken the lead back and decided not to. He's over 1000 lbs lighter and has over 200 more hp than I do. :burnout:

He was battling that much power in that chassis on the dirt. In the sand it works fine, but in the dirt the big ole 44" bias plys were bouncing a lot, he needs better shocks and to dial in the tire pressure, we'll figure it out.

80' 427

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
After reading all of this, it make me ashamed of my build threads and the level I use my education.

Top Bottom