CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

'83 K10 SB "L1TSBFIBBC" build (...Dirt Drags)

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, too many people regret selling their first car, I hope to never need to do that. I am glad to hear you have yours. You should get it back out, G bodies are cool, but I am a little biased.

The biz is getting better and better. Thus far I end up reinvesting most of the money back into the business for inventory and CNC machined parts, etc. Learning cash flow of the business in that aspect. I'll do my best to keep it going in the right direction. Once I get my new solenoids I designed in stock so I can sell the complete nitrous kits too I will start advertising more, thus far I have spent barely anything on any advertising, it's mostly all word of mouth.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's a real nice car.

I have a long time friend 15 minutes from here that has a blue Chevelle he put a ZZ427 in during his frame off restomod. It's basically a show car he drives anyway. Looks a lot like yours but its blue.

Last edited:

broflow

Tinbanger
Premium Member
Reaction score
So its been a while since I posted about this, last year was a bust between the tracks being closed and my tires being not sticky enough after 3 years, I didn't even go with the Regal. I did race my fathers 36 Ford Pickup with a BBC behind the cab. But this year I got what I have needed since I redid my whole car, double beadlocks. I was waiting for them from the wheel company, so I missed the spring racing, but I got back out this October again.

The first time I took the Regal out with the new tires, old wheels and the new drivetrain 4 yearsd ago, I spun the tire halfway around the rim just trying to tune it on the street! So I called M/T and they said either double beadlocks, or glue them on. So I glued them on. You aren't supposed to rim screw radials for safety reasons. I think that worked temporarily and then started slipping again, but I am not sure. I can tell you this, new tires and double beadlocks gave me better 60 foots than I ever had.

And I put 3 junior dragster harnesses in the back so I could take the whole family to ice cream, or pickup from school, etc. The kids love the cam locks, and I actually get compliments on the rear harnesses for the kids, I didn't think people would notice. They are old enough now even the youngest is up to a booster, so the 4 point harnesses made sense. I don't trust the lap belts only with the cage bar right behind the front seats.

View attachment 393470

I also installed four 3" stainless Borla mufflers in parallel with some custom made Y pipes I fabbed from the dual 5" oval exhaust I had made previously. It quieted it down quite a bit vs the 5" oval mufflers with almost no case volume I had before. So I have one pair of these on each bank, each side is dual 3", so quad 3" exhaust, ha ha

View attachment 393471

So the first pass I went down the track for a new best all motor. 9.58@142 with a mild 1.41 60 ft through the mufflers. With my heavy car, 3.60 gear, and 4L80 trans it’s not really setup for 60 ft on motor. I keep the front end travel low and the shock rebound somewhat stiff so I don't wheelie. My shocks are double adjustable front and rear, which is critical when trying to tune a drag car launch.

Next pass I warmed the bottle and turned on the juice preparing for an 8 second attempt. The tires had warmed up to about 18 psi from 17, I let it go thinking with the wider 9" rim it would be OK since it had not spun at all, before I only had 8" wide rims. I was wrong, the car went about the same 60 ft spinning a little. 1.40 60 ft, 9.07@152 MPH. Damn, another 9.0! But still fun. I lowered the tire pressure back to 17, loosed the front rebound 4 clicks on the shocks, warmed the bottle back up, and went back up there. This time someone oiled down the track, so I had to wait a while. By the time I got up there the bottle had cooled down, was only 830 psi. I tried it anyway, this time it hooked, but only ran 9.11@151 with a 1.38 60 ft. Low bottle pressure is disappointing.

I started thinking, why is it that my 60 ft is barely better than my motor pass when I had the bottle on? Also, right before my pass it was idling at 1800, but my crankcase vacuum was normal, so I sent it. But the idle was fluctuating a lot then, would barely run 1 second at 600 RPM and then 1500 the next. I took the air cleaner off to find out the IAC valve literally fell out and sprung apart! The screws had vibrated loose over the last 4 years of driving and racing I guess. So completely removed it and taped the hole shut, then went to check the plugs only to realize I forgot my tools in the ski boat, doh!

So I borrowed a ratchet from a fellow racer, all plugs looked good. Then I started pouring through the last data log trying to find out why the 60 ft wasn't what I expected, previous best before was 1.303. After looking at everything through the whole run, crankcase vacuum, oil pressure, trans pressure, converter slip, any clutch slip, timing, transbrake off time, nitrous pressure, A/F ratios, fuel flow, air temps, speed, converter lockup, etc. There is so much data with the Holley I have to separate it out to make sense of it. When looking closely at the launch for some reason the nitrous wasn't activating immediately on launch. Then I found a delay I had put in there of .15 seconds one time trying to hook on a cold day at a different track. I thought hmmm, I wouldn't think .15 seconds of juice would make much of a difference in ET, the engine was still running great, and I actually remember running a 9.02 with that delay, which was the best that day, but I zero'd it back out to turn on immediately.

Went back up there expecting about the same result at this point since it was very windy and the track was getting dust over the prep. And I let go of the button and hoooolllleeee crap! It took off it's hardest yet, slowly picked the wheels about 6" and held it there for what seemed like a while but it wasn't. While the front was up I was slammed back in the seat hard enough I had to focus on reaching the shifter to bump second before it hit the rev limiter. About the time I did it gently set back down around 40 foot so smooth I was proud of the chassis work I had done, and I looked up and saw my 1.28 sixty foot on the board and I started yelling! Hell yeah this tank is moving! At this point I am thinking, I needed a 1.29 and I got a 1.28, it might be the one, just keep on pulling! I felt the converter lockup around 135 where I set it in the Holley(feels like a 4th gear at WOT but it’s just the converter). Then you have to get on the brakes pretty hard and fast at 151 MPH, I don't pull the chute at that, I figure my cousins don't pull it at 180 I'm not repacking it for 150.

I pull up to the timing booth and get my timeslip, 8.97@151, finally! All the hard work paid off! I finally met my goal of going 8s on pure pump gas. No race only car, 100% street legal, full interior, heavy overdrive trans, 3.60 gear, 275 radial DOT tire, 3700 lbs with me in it. And its now an official 8 second ride. I keep reliving the feel of that launch and seeing the 1.28 in my head. Its only about .03 faster than my previous best, but it felt like so much more! I know it's not that fast for a race car, but its not a race car. No boost, no race gas, huge radiator, 4 mufflers, full trunk, full interior with back seat, power windows, 4 channel stereo, remote door locks, etc...my first car has become a ride I am proud to say I built. And it has become the best test bed for the Volcano Dry Nitrous system. Spraying that on pure pump gas is pushing it, so the cylinder distribution has to be spot on, and the plugs show it is.

I like the exhaust, it turned out sweet. I love to hear it in person again!

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks, that can be arranged.... :D

You get your engine in the truck yet?

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So this is just one example of a data log. You can see on the left I have over half the stuff just in this one view not checked to keep it simple. Displaying too much is very easy to make it cluttered and confusing. But you can still see the values on the left. So just looking at this one, which I have setup for looking at transmission data. You can see the engine RPM, Speed, Gear, and when the T brake releases. You can also see values for TPS, Trans (line) Temp, Trans Pressure, TC Clutch, Tbrake In, Converter Slip(Engine/Converter), Trans Ratio (Clutch Slip), etc.

One thing I like to point out is you can go calculate the 0-60 time and 0-100 time by looking at those data points and seeing the time difference.

My 0 - 60 time was 1.8 seconds. My 0-100 MPH time was 3.9 seconds. I have calibrated my speed sensor to a GPS so they match.

So currently the white crosshair is sitting at 100 MPH during the run on the blue "speed" line. The top shows the blue line min and max of 154 MPH. (actual speed when I let off, not averaged over the last 30 ft of track).

The yellow line shows it is supposed to be in 2nd gear, the Trans ratio confirms it is not slipping as the ratio of input shaft to output shaft speed says 1.4837.

The red line shows the RPM through the gear changes. You can also see it on the 2 step before the launch. The green line follows as the input shaft speed after launch, but you can see the converter slips more on launch and after gear changes than at higher RPM. Currently converter slip at that 100 MPH point is 7.6% (1.0766 value). Converter slip drops to 5% or less at peak RPM.

I can also see my lockup converter is not 100% locked up after over a decade of abuse with two different engines. The purple line is lockup, and after it locks up the RPM goes down but the converter slip is still not 0 like it used to be under power. I guess the triple disc can't hold 1100 HP any more.

8.97 rpm data.JPG

I can go back and turn on anything I want at at time even during a previous run, the Holley Dominator saves it all every time.

I am also showing all the data points you can select from. The green checked ones are the ones that have been selected for one of the 8 different screens you can configure and choose between. Tons of data to go look at. By looking at it another screen I setup I can see the nitrous turned off for .28 seconds before the 1-2 shift because it was 50 RPM from hitting the rev limiter and then it hit it for a split second before the shift completed. So I left power on the table momentarily, but my engine is fine. I purposed set it to turn off the juice before it would hit the rev limiter to not hit it while on the bottle.

Dominator data choices.jpg

Last edited:

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
So this is just one example of a data log. You can see on the left I have over half the stuff just in this one view not checked to keep it simple. Displaying too much is very easy to make it cluttered and confusing. But you can still see the values on the left. So just looking at this one, which I have setup for looking at transmission data. You can see the engine RPM, Speed, Gear, and when the T brake releases. You can also see values for TPS, Trans (line) Temp, Trans Pressure, TC Clutch, Tbrake In, Converter Slip(Engine/Converter), Trans Ratio (Clutch Slip), etc.

One thing I like to point out is you can go calculate the 0-60 time and 0-100 time by looking at those data points and seeing the time difference.

My 0 - 60 time was 1.8 seconds. My 0-100 MPH time was 3.9 seconds. I have calibrated my speed sensor to a GPS so they match.

So currently the white crosshair is sitting at 100 MPH during the run on the blue "speed" line. The top shows the blue line min and max of 154 MPH. (actual speed when I let off, not averaged over the last 30 ft of track).

The yellow line shows it is supposed to be in 2nd gear, the Trans ratio confirms it is not slipping as the ratio of input shaft to output shaft speed says 1.4837.

The red line shows the RPM through the gear changes. You can also see it on the 2 step before the launch. The green line follows as the input shaft speed after launch, but you can see the converter slips more on launch and after gear changes than at higher RPM. Currently converter slip at that 100 MPH point is 7.6% (1.0766 value). Converter slip drops to 5% or less at peak RPM.

I can also see my lockup converter is not 100% locked up after over a decade of abuse with two different engines. The purple line is lockup, and after it locks up the RPM goes down but the converter slip is still not 0 like it used to be under power. I guess the triple disc can't hold 1100 HP any more.

View attachment 395139

I can go back and turn on anything I want at at time in during a previous run, the Holley Dominator saves it all every time.

I am also showing all the data points you can select from. The green checked ones are the ones that have been selected for one of the 8 different screens you can configure and choose between. Tons of data to go look at. By looking at it another screen I setup I can see the nitrous turned off for .28 seconds before the 1-2 shift because it was 50 RPM from hitting the rev limiter and then it hit it for a split second before the shift completed. So I left power on the table momentarily.

View attachment 395140
Good god, that’s a lot of I/o’s

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Good god, that’s a lot of I/o’s
The better to see you with said the Dominator. :D

Seriously though, the Dominator sets the standard for the capabilities of aftermarket EFI for quite a while now, and its still going. It does all that and the ignition in just one box, and I'm not even using all of the potential with it. It can do 8 stages of progressive nitrous, I am doing 1 stage of Volcano Nitrous. And it can obviously do boost control, etc.

And most data loggers only log the channels you select. This logs everything, every time.

Did I say I like it?

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The better to see you with said the Dominator. :D

Seriously though, the Dominator sets the standard for the capabilities of aftermarket EFI for quite a while now, and its still going. It does all that and the ignition in just one box, and I'm not even using all of the potential with it. It can do 8 stages of progressive nitrous, I am doing 1 stage of Volcano Nitrous. And it can obviously do boost control, etc.

And most data loggers only log the channels you select. This logs everything, every time.

Did I say I like it?
The Terminator X has been amazing, it's everything I always wanted but the aftermarket EFI wasn't the greatest when I was planning my setup.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes the Terminator X has a lot of the same features and interface, just not as much of it. The main differences are it can't control low impedance injectors(most don't use them anyway, I'm not), and it can't do internal data logging, only external. Other than that its just the number of inputs/outputs. There are other differences I am not getting into, but that's what matters to most people. And many people don't need internal data logging, especially when you can log data with some of the displays too and you still don't need a laptop.

Top Bottom