CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

stan1688

Weld-it-yourself bumpers
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear the culprit of the leak. I've also struggled with sealing tcases.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The leak is specific to the EcoBox and the configuration I'm running including the adapter, mounting foot and the input length on my NP205. Basically the short NP205 input doesn't reach the output seal pictured below (1" recessed from face).
full

Therefore that open area is filled with EcoBox fluid and I didn't use RTV in that area because I didn't think it was needed. Previously when I assembled this (5 years ago) I used RTV between the mounting plates and didn't notice the input wasn't reaching the seal.

Yesterday I noticed NWF sells a "EcoBox Output Seal Extension" as an optional part which extends that seal location outward so it seals to the NP205 input. This wasn't available when I bought the case, not that I remember anyway.

The other option is a long input on the 205, trimmed to fit.

I added some extra fluid and I'll run it for now.

Last edited:

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Last September I replaced the FUSH bushings and for whatever reason they were destroyed already. I’m pretty sure I used whatever bushings I had laying around (maybe ruffstuff) so I ordered some freshies from DIY4X. Below you can see the new bushings on top and what’s left of the old bushings after one or two wheeling trips.

full

at lunch I picked up the truck, drove it back to work and ran some errands around town. The 205 and the EcoBox are containing fluids and the EcoBox is staying in gear so far. The EcoBox is burping some fluid however I kinda expected that.

After work I topped off the transmission, fixed a broken temp sensor wire to the transmission pan and tightened up the power steering pump. This Friday I’ll pickup my daughter from school and we’ll head to the mountains and meet up with some friends. I’m looking forward to airing down, enjoying some fresh air, pew pew and some campfire stories.

Last edited:

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
My bushings wear pretty quick. I think it's pretty common and why ORD is trying the kevlar impregnated stuff.
Yeah the amount of flex you get is beyond any material.
You need heims or similar parts when you have that kind of movement constantly.
Rubber and poly are good for occasional flex.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The bushings are a maintenance item as far as I'm concerned and are usually replaced annually. However this last pair of FUSH bushings deteriorated VERY quickly so they must have been some type of inferior material.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Rubicon Trip Report

We left around 5:45AM Saturday morning and met @Chevk587, @onetonbb74 and Chris at the Loon Lake trailhead about ten minutes after 8am. We aired down and hit the trail within 30 minutes to make sure we were ahead of the small tire group running the trail at 9am.
full

full

We made is past beer tree and up the slabs before @Chevk587 broke a hydro mount for his steering. Luckily Chris brought his welding setup so we removed batteries from our rigs and Tyler did a quick repair.
full

During the repair @bmxbryant9 came rolling through with his new (badass) rig with the Sierra Rock Crawlers small tire run.
full

After the repair was complete we made our way to Ellis Creek, up Walker Hill and onto Soup Bowl where the party was happening. Couple rigs were attempting Soup Kitchen and one of them flopped.
full

After the chaos calmed down @Chevk587 hit soup bowl and I followed (nobody took pics of Tyler on Soup :doah:)

full

full

Shortly thereafter we continued on to Little Sluice and down to Buck. Somewhere after Little Sluice I lost a taillight, business as usual....
full

From our campsite at Buck
full

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 2

We packed up in the morning and hit the trail heading back to Loon Lake and within the first 150' from the campsite we encountered a traffic jam and within that mess was a pair of trail tampons. One of these idiots left his rig and took the keys so I followed Dean up around the obstruction on a off camber granite slab. As I turned on the granite slab with the drivetrain bound up I heard a loud pop. I figured the front output popped out again however I was wrong. Shortly thereafter I tried to climb a small ledge and heard another odd noise and it was obvious the front driver tire was not spinning.

I didn't get a picture but the Yukon Lockout had sheared all but two bolts holding it on and was forced outward. I knew right away the stub shaft snapped. I hooked a line to Chris and he dragged me up off the trail and we tore it down.
full

Here's the mess we found under the lockout
full

Thankfully Chris had a sharp chisel so I could split the ring around the outside of the lockout and pry it out. Dean had a cover from his slugs so we used that to seal the hub and we continued on in 3wd.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The truck did fairly well in 3wd, better than I expected actually with some momentum until we got to axle hill. My wheelbase on this hill with the ledges and slippery granite was always a challenge so I knew it would be difficult in 3wd. As I approached the first ledge I hit it with some momentum and lost power to the passenger front wheel. Driveshaft is spinning, no noise so I pulled the front axle out of gear and it took both Chris and Dean daisy chained to pull my slug up that section.

Somewhere around there Chris lost his steering when his steering shaft separated from the orbital. That was a quick fix with a supply of hardware on hand where the set screw was missing and we continued on.

The last section of trail after gate keeper has big boulder with deep holes so I needed assistance through that 100 yard section and we made it back to loon around 4pm. We aired up with my new ARB Compressor and said our goodbyes to one another.

About a 1/2 mile down the road we experienced death wobble which I had (just once) a month earlier on the camping trip. I did a full inspection before Rubicon so I knew it wasn't anything loose so I continued on with my codawg death gripping the cage and center console :rotfl: Once we made it to the freeway it was fine, just once we hit a bridge and it started again so I had to pull off the highway. After the highway we had a long section of crappy street driving which was under construction and it death wobbled at least two dozen more times. If I swereved around when it started to shake it would pull out of it so I just swerved all over the damn road :D

We eventually made it home around 7pm where we celebrated with a cold beer or two and laughed about our shit show of drive home.

nvrenuf

I grind my welds.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Good stuff! Fyi, I can only see pics 3 and 5, none of the other load for me (but it could be my work computer).

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
The truck did fairly well in 3wd, better than I expected actually with some momentum until we got to axle hill. My wheelbase on this hill with the ledges and slippery granite was always a challenge so I knew it would be difficult in 3wd. As I approached the first ledge I hit it with some momentum and lost power to the passenger front wheel. Driveshaft is spinning, no noise so I pulled the front axle out of gear and it took both Chris and Dean daisy chained to pull my slug up that section.

Somewhere around there Chris lost his steering when his steering shaft separated from the orbital. That was a quick fix with a supply of hardware on hand where the set screw was missing and we continued on.

The last section of trail after gate keeper has big boulder with deep holes so I needed assistance through that 100 yard section and we made it back to loon around 4pm. We aired up with my new ARB Compressor and said our goodbyes to one another.

About a 1/2 mile down the road we experienced death wobble which I had (just once) a month earlier on the camping trip. I did a full inspection before Rubicon so I knew it wasn't anything loose so I continued on with my codawg death gripping the cage and center console :rotfl: Once we made it to the freeway it was fine, just once we hit a bridge and it started again so I had to pull off the highway. After the highway we had a long section of crappy street driving which was under construction and it death wobbled at least two dozen more times. If I swereved around when it started to shake it would pull out of it so I just swerved all over the damn road :D

We eventually made it home around 7pm where we celebrated with a cold beer or two and laughed about our shit show of drive home.
Do you think the wheel hub itself Is damaged?

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Do you think the wheel hub itself Is damaged?

Not that I can tell but I need to pull it for inspection. The lockout gear was cocked on a angle so it wouldn't surprise me if the splines on the hub are damaged. The inside of the spindle has gouges from the broken shaft too.

The passenger issue(s) are unknown as well. Broken shaft? Broken locker?

I kind of deserve it running stock stub shafts for so long. Since I broke one of the lock outs I might as well upgrade the stubs to Chrome-Moly 35's with new lockouts....

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'd knock my noggin right on those handles.

if that's the case you must hit your head on a lot of stuff :rotfl:

I always grabbed the halo when I got in and out of the truck but these handles are a lot easier. Most people aren't tall enough to grab the halo so the new handles help them get in and out.

Top Bottom