CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wow, that got expensive

The second shaft didn't really make a difference at this point. With the first lockout getting destroyed I was already buying lockouts. 35 spline stubs are cheap enough that I’m not going to waste my time with stock ones.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
On the last Rubicon trip we bumped into a photographer that was following the small tire run for an article in four wheeler magazine. Turns out he’s a squarebody guy, liked our foolsized rigs and my truck made the article and the video.
If you watch the video I’m around the 5:15 mark on soup bowl. You’ll see @bmxbryant9 new jeep in some of the photos and @Chevk587 rig in the background of the soup video.

A0A0DA20-26DB-4D4C-805B-2E3AC8DB06F6.jpeg

F562385F-D7AE-4918-9B7C-05A35E52A442.jpeg

DD32A8F8-BDD8-4FBF-9137-623DF7E32F8D.jpeg

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
3 months later I finally got a chance to pressure wash the rubicon dirt off the truck and tear down the front axle. Unfortunately the driver side spindle is no longer round so I had to add another $500 in parts (spindle, wheel bearings and seal, spindle bearing and seal, spindle nuts). Passenger side looks fine other than the axle shaft and the bearings/seals I did last year are in great shape.

I had to use an impact to get the spindle nut off. Then I had to use the hub assembly like a slide hammer to get the outer bearing to slide off the spindle. Also had some water sitting inside this hub......

full

bearing won't slide on

full

full

full

Reid's and WFO High Steer (reverse) going in too. Hopefully my tie rod will last longer than one wheeling season now.

full

mocked up with the WFO ram mount (5.25") and the old tierod.

full

and I found a missing bump stop while pressure washing the truck. Must of lost that on the rubicon or it shook off with all the death wobble on the way home from the trail.
full

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
weekend progress report.

Parts Mike sold me on a new spindle seal kit that's available. Apparently this was an old spicer product they brought back and he said they seal well on his personal rig. You can see how the seal presses into the spindle housing. And then the stub shaft seal replaces the sheetmetal piece and the bronze spacer.
full

full

Ruffstuff tierod & WFO tierod tabs

full

Steering is bled and everything is tight with exception of the passenger axle shaft/spindle/hub/lockout & brake caliper. I should have another U-Joint delivered today so I can finish that.

full

full

full

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
FWIW, I use the metal pinch lock nuts on the shackle bolts.

I'm pretty sure I'm running a spindle from Parts Mike. It would be about 13 years old and obviously works well.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
FWIW, I use the metal pinch lock nuts on the shackle bolts.

I'm pretty sure I'm running a spindle from Parts Mike. It would be about 13 years old and obviously works well.

I've used the pinch bolts too. Both work fine however these nylocks have been reused too much.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I've used the pinch bolts too. Both work fine however these nylocks have been reused too much.
As often as I seem to wear out bushings, I need the re-usability. :rotfl: ORD says you can get 5 cycles out of the metal lock nuts.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
As often as I seem to wear out bushings, I need the re-usability. :rotfl: ORD says you can get 5 cycles out of the metal lock nuts.

I agree and good to know! Probably should order a few differnt sizes from mcmaster carr and be done with it.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Back together and on the rubber again. Still need to grease some zircs and do another bolt check but it’s ready otherwise.
full

Also mounted the tool box. I need to spend a couple days building partitions and mounting my ARB compressor but that can wait. Time to go wheeling.

full

Top Bottom