86 K10-Orion

1. toomany

toomany 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Another full day in the shop. Didn't get nearly as much accomplished as I would have liked.

Started by wiring up the interior lighting circuit. First I wired it up as the factory had it, then I tried adding the RAP module (it kicks the lights on at key off, fades them out, uses door switches to kill accessories). For some reason I couldn't wrap my head around how it was supposed to be wired. The digram isn't the best and they don't really explain what is needed for it to function correctly. Apparently I'm not the only one who has struggled with this because Google had a bunch of links to people with the same questions. Eventually I figured it out. The door switches needed to be taken out of the lighting circuit and tied only into the module, with a new ground wire going from the module to the dome circuit. Once that was figured out, it was easy enough to finish the rest of the wiring for the auto headlights/retained accessory power.

It looks worse than it is in the picture. Still, once everything is in, I'll go back and straighten it out some. Above the fuse block is the "switched power" bus bar. Because the Bp harness handles the fuel pump wiring, I repurposed the EZ's fuel circuit for that... already had a relay and fuse in it. The 3 relays next to the box are what it uses to switch power for the lights and whatever accessories you want. The 4th one is the horn relay.

IMG_20191005_222254.jpg

These are the constant and ground bus bars. The hot one is tied into the stud by the battery and has a Maxi fuse on it. The ground goes directly to the negative battery cable. This was the best spot I could find for them, not really a lot of flat open areas under the dash without drilling into the cowl. All 3 bars have covers the will go on at the end.

IMG_20191005_223114.jpg

To the right of the pedals went the command box for the gauges. It fit pretty well there and gives good access to the terminals. Only about half of the inputs are connected right now. The ones from the PCM (vss, tach, check engine) need to be run into the cab still. I intend to have the 4x4 light, cruise light, and brake warning light all work too.

IMG_20191005_222216.jpg

IMG_20191005_222739.jpg

Didn't get to any of the door wiring like I wanted to. That will be the next project.

SpeedlabDan, MEMO43, bsgreen and 2 others like this.
  2. toomany

Build(s):
    Door harness are in and locks are wired.

Fished the wires from the doors, through the A-pillars and under the dash. Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, even with the two extra wires for the window relays. Didn't get the connecting harness that runs behind the dash from door to door, so I had to make my own. Didn't get a door lock relay either but, I was able to snag one from a 97 parts Suburban out in the yard. GM kept the same coloring on the wires so it was an easy addition. Left two extra wires hanging out to tie into the relays from the keyless entry module (relays are needed to convert the negative output to positive).

Window wiring will be next. Then I'll only have the neutral saftey/backup light switch, cigarette lighter, cruise and radio wiring left.

3. toomany

Build(s):
    Most all of the wiring is finished with the exception of the radio, cigarette lighter and remote start. The remote start wiring is started though.

I was at the point where what was left (tach, brake switch outputs, hvac, etc...) needed to be integrated with the PCM, gauge module or remote start. Some of the circuits were coming from the one module to the other, or to all three. I.E.--The remote start and gauge module needed the tach signal from the PCM. PCM needs +12V from the brake switch when pedal is up for the TCC circuit, remote start needs +12v to shut off engine if key is off and brake is pressed, each one needs the opposite of the other. To achieve this I used a brake switch from a 3rd gen Camaro, but pretty much any mid 80's switch from an auto car w/cruise will work.

HVAC is in and wired up. I understand it's a universal-ish kit, but they could have designed the harness a little better and cut out about 4' of wire. It's wired so that the remote start will trigger it to come on. I think I have some grounds back feeding into that circuit. The light one the control panel comes one with the courtesy lights. It goes off with them as well so I'm not too worried about it.

bsgreen and UpnAdam like this.
  4. toomany

Build(s):
    Took a break for a few days on this. Had to work on other people's stuff then went out of town for two days.

With the electrical being close (close enough to fire up) I switched things up by moving on to the exhaust. Well, first I was going to do drive shafts. But the one I wanted to use for the rear has the wrong yoke at the front and the u-joint at the rear is too big. Not as simple as a quick shortening to get that in. Of the 5 front shafts I have, none are close enough that I'd feel comfortable using them. One is close, but it's about 1-1.5" too long. It fits, but once the weight of the truck is on it, there isn't much room for the springs to compress before it bottoms out.

With the exhaust I had a few requirements. No drone, quiet-ish, duals, crossover and tailpipes out the back. The drone and noise level is taken care of with a pair of Magnaflow 18" case mufflers. Little bit quieter than the standard 14" ones. In the past, I haven't had any issue with sound quality running a Magnaflow brand muffler, but if by chance I get some droning, I can probably sneak a resonator in somewhere. Duals and crossover is taken care of with some universal bends and an X-pipe. Speed Engineering has a kit that, for the price is hard to beat. All stainless 2.5" mandrel bent and has a bunch of band clamps. I couldn't justify buying more stainless for the rest of the system... especially when I've got plenty of straight pipe and bends left over from a few other systems I've done. The X-pipe is purely for the sound. Most of the LS motors don't sound that great to me when they have split duals. Crossover smooths out the sound.

Not shown are all of my extra bends and hangers. The two straight sections are regular mild steel.

IMG_20191012_210555.jpg

Started on the passenger side because that is the more difficult. Had an idea where I wanted the X-pipe to land and started building to there.

The reason for the bigger bend right at the begining is because it was almost the perfect angle to start with. It's 2 3/4" and has plenty of clearance around the driveshaft and frame.

IMG_20191012_230830.jpg

Tucked up high. Debated going below the driveshaft or above. After thinking about it I couldn't come up with any reason to go below. The driveshaft that is in there is just to give me an idea of what clearance I'll need.

IMG_20191012_230311.jpg

I'll probably do some kind of heat shield for the fuel line above the X.

IMG_20191012_230323.jpg

That's as far as I got tonight. The drivers side will have to rise up too. But it has quite a bit of room to do it in. Once the pipe passes the shifter and transmission, I'll turn it up then. I'm going to build it with the front two sections as one piece and only use clamps at the collectors and X-pipe. It should come off that way if needed. If not, I'll make some cuts and use a butt or V-band clamp to reconnect them.

SpeedlabDan, livid4dirt and bsgreen like this.
  5. toomany

Build(s):
    Did some more on the exhaust today.

Other leg of the front half. Wasn't paying attention when I cut the u-bend in half and didn't get it quite in the middle, then having to shorten each side...it wasn't lining up the best with the other half. Used some scrap pieces to cover the gaps.

IMG_20191015_175528.jpg

In the truck. Runs straight out from the header, past the transmission before it turns up. With the clamps loose, there is enough wiggle room to get each leg loose from the X-pipe. After some miles and heat cycles that might change though.

IMG_20191015_180522.jpg

Tucked it up as high as I could. Driveshaft has plenty of room to slide in and out.

IMG_20191015_180508.jpg

Outlets from the X. The hangers I keep on hand weren't going to work how I wanted. They were just too long for me to use and keep everything tucked up high. New ones should be here tomorrow. For now things are just held in place with straps and bungee cords.

IMG_20191015_182701.jpg

The mufflers are a center in/offset out. They are reversible and I figured I'd have to run them offset in/center out. Happened to work better the other way.

IMG_20191015_184946.jpg

IMG_20191015_184939.jpg

IMG_20191015_185002.jpg

IMG_20191015_185154.jpg

Once the new hangers show up, I'll square the pipes up and tighten down all the clamps. Before I do tailpipes, I'll have to stick the bumper back on...maybe even the box. Not sure if I'm going out under the bumper, at a 45 out the side or 90 out the side.

Put the shift linkage together now that I was done with the exhaust in that area. Had to fiddle with it a little bit to get the detents to all line up. Park, reverse, neutral and drive all hit where they are supposed on the column. Apparently the column I used is from a 3 speed truck because it only goes down into 2nd. Will have to get back into the column to open up the travel on the shifter.

6. toomany

Build(s):
    Put the hangers on the exhaust.

On the left is the style I keep on hand. The one on the right is more of an OE kind. 3/8 stainless rod. They are way cheaper too. Only 1.99 each at Summit.

IMG_20191016_190801.jpg

Without all the straps holding it up.

IMG_20191016_204853.jpg

IMG_20191016_204905.jpg

There are two hangers on each side. A pair at the X and a pair in front of the mufflers. When I add the tailpipes, I'll add two more behind the mufflers and a pair on the pipes. It's secure enough now for me to move on.

Plan is to fire the motor up Friday. It's technically ready to go now, but I want to do it on a day I have more time. I've got the unneeded stuff taken off of the factory tune, just need to load it back into the PCM. The tune up is still factory, it should start and run with that. Once it's driving, then I can worry about getting it dialed in.

Truckman4life likes this.
  7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

Id be interested in your logs/tune as I am still learning and like to tinker. You will probably have to add about 10-15% to your airflow otherwise you will be pedaling to keep it alive.

8. toomany

Build(s):
    It runs.

Got out of work around 11 and decided I'd see if I could get it to fire up. Loaded the base tune into the PCM, hit the key and all I got was cranking. Tried it a few more times, it was clear I wasn't getting spark or fuel. I knew I had spark (at one point, because I had test fired it off carb clean when I put the harness on), so I looked to the injectors. Probing them with a test light, I was getting signal from the PCM, so I had fuel. Checking for spark, there was none. Traced it back to a blown fuse at the fuse block. It was the one wired in for the sensors, which is odd because I was still seeing crank signal, water temp, throttle position, ect on the scan tool. Hit the key again and it fired up instantly. Settled into a nice 700 rpm idle. Let it warm up while I topped off the coolant and transmission fluid. Going to let it sit till tomorrow before I go back out and check for leaks and levels again.

Capt Ron likes this.
  9. toomany

Build(s):

It'll be a little bit before I get any seat time to dial it in. Still need to sort out rear driveshaft and install the rear brakes. Once those are in, it'll be able to drive.

Currently it's running off of a factory 4.8 tune. The truck I pulled the 5.3 from was originally a base 4.8 work truck. My cousin and I swapped the 5.3 in after he got it. He was supposed to get it tuned for the 5.3, but never did. Only things I've done to the file so far are pull out VATS, tach signal and remove EVAP/rear o2's.

It idles like I think it should for this cam. Seems a little rich if anything, judging by how my eyes felt before I opened the doors. I'm sure once I get a load on it I'll need to add across the board.

10. toomany

Build(s):
    Shortened one of the front shafts I've got. Had to take a little over an inch out. It would have worked the way it was, but would have only had a little bit of up travel before bottoming the shaft out.

Took care of a leak at one of the transmission quick connect fittings. Not sure if I didn't have it snapped in all the way or what, but I had a fairly steady drip when running. New fitting and had a nice click when I pushed it in.

Monday I'm going to go get a rear shaft made. I've got enough parts to put one together, but I'd have to cannibalize 3 shafts to make it. And I don't trust myself to get it 100% straight doing that. The front shaft I just did has a little run out, should be fine from what I've seen others look like going down the road.

Rear brake parts should be in early next week. Already have calipers and mounts. Waiting on rotors and lines.

Cleaned up the tune and finalized the basics. Tire size, gear ratio, all emissions codes, fuel codes. No check engine lights come on unless it's a problem one of the necessary systems. This will be my new base file that I'll use to start tuning from.

While I'm waiting for the driveshaft, I'll put the rear bumper on and finish the exhaust. Might try sticking the seat back in so I can get the throttle pedal done (didn't want to do this without the seat in). I don't plan on using the stock bench, but it'll work for the time being.

11. toomany

Build(s):
    Put the rear bumper on. Not my first choice, but it came with the truck and helps cover the gas tank. I think this style belongs on a long bed or crew cab. Will need to set the box on before I can fully tighten it down.

IMG_20191020_175148.jpg

Measured for the drive shaft. Stuck a bunch of weight on the end to compress the springs some.

IMG_20191020_180327.jpg

I had plans of working on the exhaust, but decided to do some "clean" work instead. Wired in the remote start. Went fairly quick as I had accounted for the necessary wires when I was in the harness. Need to pick up two relays for the door locks. Those harnesses are built and test out correctly though. If I have time tomorrow, I'll install the HVAC ducts and I should be good to put the dash pad on.

12. toomany

Build(s):
    Went to the driveshaft place around noon and got a phone call at 2 saying it was ready. Brought them my slip yoke and told them the center/center. 3.5x.083 tubing with new end yokes and Spicer 1350 joints. $275 out the door balanced. Which wasn't too bad I didn't think. Had to get new U-bolts for the rear axle. I've never seen a 14bff yoke that takes U-bolts, but mine doesn't have any threads in it and the straps I have don't contact the yoke when the joint is installed.