CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

'88 K5 Frame... Anyone Manufacturing Them?!?

kwphipps

Reaction score
My '88 K5, which I've had since it was new, finally had to be parked awhile back when the drivers seat mounts pulled out of the rusty floor (among other things, but that was the kinda the last straw). The truck being like one of my kids, I decided to do a resto-mod on it to bring it back to life and the shop doing the work just broke the news to me that the frame is bent, most likely from the 30 years of wheelin' mostly down muddy trails. The local frame shops are not real interested in trying to repair this frame and I don't really want to risk finding and working with another 30 year old frame hoping its in good condition, so wondering if anyone is manufacturing them? If so, I can't find them! Any source suggestions would be most appreciated! Thank you!

-

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I would start by finding out what is telling them that the frame is bent. These aren't very straight when they are in factory condition. And does it have serious rust? I am assuming that it does since you are in Maryland.

Then if it is definitely done for, what is the body really like as far as corrosion? Is it worth the money to repair it?
The floor breaking at the seat mounts is common, I would look more at the overall conditions from rust more than the seat mounts.

If it is a lot of factors piling up, you should possibly consider getting a different K5 with fewer problems, then keep the good parts from yours. Not what you may want to do, but possibly it's more sensible in the long run and financially.

I did hear that some guys were working on a new chassis, with custom stuff as well. Not sure.

@sreidmx can you add any information?

kwphipps

Reaction score
I would start by finding out what is telling them that the frame is bent. These aren't very straight when they are in factory condition. And does it have serious rust? I am assuming that it does since you are in Maryland.

Then if it is definitely done for, what is the body really like as far as corrosion? Is it worth the money to repair it?
The floor breaking at the seat mounts is common, I would look more at the overall conditions from rust more than the seat mounts.

If it is a lot of factors piling up, you should possibly consider getting a different K5 with fewer problems, then keep the good parts from yours. Not what you may want to do, but possibly it's more sensible in the long run and financially.

I did hear that some guys were working on a new chassis, with custom stuff as well. Not sure.

kwphipps

Reaction score
I am being told the frame bends up in the middle (transfer case area) but personally I am not sure what I am looking at, but rust-wise its really not horrible. The body underside and fenderwells, well they're simply eaten through... they're gone and metal replacement is already under way. A sane rational person would have gotten another truck to work on, but since, as I mentioned, this K5 is like a family member, its getting restored to enjoy all over again with my now adult kids, although probably not in the mud. I will check with @sreidmx and see what options are. Thanks

muddybuddy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be very cool to have an original owner blazer thats restored to new all over again!

Top Bottom