'91 K5.3 Blazer

Average User Rating:
5/5,
  1. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Minus .7 liters Premium Member

Build(s):
    Most excellent, and for all the viewers out there, you could not find a better trail leader/travel guide then Rob.
    And now with his write up and pics of the trip ........ Best. Vacation. Ever

max 02, Bent77, Larry and 5 others like this.
  2. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I loved the area behind LaSal and down to Bedrock and Paradox. Very pretty. I always wanted to do that Rim Rocker trail just to see that area but never did before we moved away. Even just the highway drive from Montrose to LaSal is very pretty.

Capt Ron and ZooMad75 like this.
  3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Way too much flattery Ron, but I'll take it. I thought the pace we were running on day one of Rimrocker might have had you thinking what the hell did I get into. This guy is driving like a maniac. Which I'll admit I was carrying a little too much speed in some spots. The roads weren't washboarded out so I took the opportunity to make up some time. Almost missed a couple of turns due to it. The Bilsteins do let me drive a little faster than I should on dirt, but it's fun to do.

You guys are welcome to ride anytime with us. You both had the right attitude and didn't let any adversity effect it. Stuff happens and all you can to is adapt and move forward. Manhandling that truck in high range on hell's and flat iron is something that would have worked my nerves to a burnt stump. You just kept on truckin right on through.

You guys fit into the trip routine like you've been out with us before. It really was fun having you guys along for the ride. We'll have to try to get out for a weekend mountain run in the fall.

It is really pretty country in that area. We skirted the south end of Rimrocker on the '17 desert trip and we're amazed by the view. It was easy to say yes to rimrocker when Ron suggested it. Initially trip reports made it sound worse than it really is. Some were saying it would take three days to cover it by truck, one day on a dual sport bike. In reality if you don't take any of the side roads and leave early I think it could done in a long day, but to enjoy the views one should spend a night on the trail. Buckeye lake looked to be an awesome place to camp had we made it. Views were great and they had facilities so any girls riding along don't have to take the shovel out to the woods to take care of business because we all know how much they like that part of camping.

We skipped a couple of sections of the trail for the sake of time. So I know I'll do it again for sure.

More of the report to come after work.

campfire and Capt Ron like this.
  4. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Yep I never made it to Buckeye but some friends of ours from Moab recently told me it was full all year this year and really pretty due to the wet winter we had last year.

Capt Ron likes this.
  5. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    Getting back into the trip report. We left off making our way west on the Rimrocker. We stop and take some shots when the scenery changes.

I caught Ron coming in hot too. He had a little leadfoot fever as well.

The trail climbs up and down, but for a good chunk rides the canyon wall above state highway 141. One thing you'll see is this part of the state is dotted with mines. Most of them of the uranium variety. We passed this one below the trail where it's kinda hard to see.

We still have daylight, but I can tell it's getting scarce. Looking at the map I can see the trail keeps diving up and down and in and out of side canyons. The trail crosses the highway we are above and on the east side of, I just need to find a way to it to cut some time getting to the trail on the other side of the highway. We came to a turn and I checked both the Ipad and paper map to see this road would take us down to the highway. Back on pavement we made the run north up the canyon to find where the trail takes back off from. Pretty quickly we are climbing up the west side of the canyon gaining elevation.

This gives a perspective of the climb up the canyon.

The views just keep getting better climbing up.

This big dome really tripped us out.

Like I said, it's pretty photogenic.

Ron making his way up.

With clouds low, the sun setting, the light is getting less. We need to get a move on to make it to Buckeye.

With light fading, I'm now in the get our ass moving mode. No more photos as the light was almost gone anyway. I radio back to Ron and let him know we aren't much more than 10 or so miles from the target but the trail isn't straight and with darkness setting in I'm going to find a spot to camp in. Ron agrees and I keep my eyes peeled but the trail is on the side of the mesa so zero places to stop are seen. The trail hooks a right turn for a climb up and just as soon as it levels out I see a little section of road off the main trail that out of the way. Perfect. The sun just set and we still had enough light to set up camp.

Good thing we have a lot of light onboard. It was really dark out here.

In some of our pre-trip conversations, Ron had indicated his son wanted to cook dinner on the first night, I had planned on taking a night to cook for all of us so I was all for it. Plus after driving from Pueblo we had been on the road a solid 12 hours I was not in a mood to cook. Robbie and I got the top popped on the camper, broke out the chairs and cracked open some beverages and soaked in the darkness. Ron's son Mason got to work on the camp stove with a kick ass pot Kielbasa, peppers and potatoes.

Amazingly we had cell coverage out here and got to talk to my wife and sent some texts back and forth with Larry. Larry's normal MO on a run like this would be to set up camp in the daylight, so with him tracking us on Spot he was wondering what we were still doing on the move. We hung out for a while in the dark telling stories and finally sheer exhaustion set in and we settled into our respective mobile homesteads for the night.

More to come...

GWeakland620, max 02, 78SWB and 7 others like this.
  6. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Minus .7 liters Premium Member

Build(s):
    Great job on storytelling Rob. If the dealership job goes south you could make a fortune writing. As said the views were incredible and when I first noticed the dome from a distance I thought it was man made then was totally blown away when we got closer and I realized it was all natural. One really has to see it in person to appreciate how cool it is. I felt bad that you had to pull over and wait for me to catch up at intersections on the trail but the dust was so bad following Parnelli Jones [yes I know he drove a Bronco] I had to hang back a bit.
    End of day???
    Good food.
    Cold drinks.
    Good company.
    A good night's sleep in the mountains far away from the rat race.
    Priceless!

max 02, Larry, Bent77 and 3 others like this.
  7. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    :saweet: :thumb:

ZooMad75 and Capt Ron like this.
  8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I was just thinking as I read Rob's post that he's a good story teller.

campfire, ZooMad75 and Capt Ron like this.
  9. mrk5

Build(s):
    And I mean that in a complimentary way. :D

10. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    I've always considered myself an accomplished bullshit artist myself. But trip reports are just fun to write for me.

I do appreciate the compliments. The trip report will continue tonight with our adventure to the state line and La Sal pass.

Capt Ron, Bent77 and campfire like this.
  11. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have noticed that from your posts before you even had a trip to report on

12. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    Yeow, walked right into that one didn't I? :haha:

Capt Ron, campfire and Justin V like this.
  13. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    The dome was cool. I was trying to find a trail to crawl down to while we waited for you. As far as waiting goes, don't sweat it. I've been the one in the dust cloud on many occasions, sometimes you got to let the dust settle before proceeding. I mainly was stopping at intersections to make sure you didn't take a wrong turn and we got separated. Plus it gave us time to take pictures of you catching up to us and our surroundings.

Traveling this way is about the journey, but also the company you are with and the experience. The bonus is being well away from the rat race. The campsite was awesome and not a sole near us for miles.

It's not the way to go for everyone, but I love it. It seems like you got it too. Dealing with the public at work has me craving this kind of solitude. It's big reason while I like it so much.

I'm already looking forward to the next adventure.

campfire, Larry and Capt Ron like this.
  14. campfire

Build(s):
    You already know this, but that is the exact philosophy we use when planning and executing our Yooper trips. That's why I like reading these reports.

You're just missing the 3,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of cold fresh water that we call home... :wink1: :haha:

:popcorn:

15. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    I was with you until all the water. I love the mountains and desert. Driving in them and on the edge of mountains and canyons is great fun. Plus there is usually some level of technical wheeling involved at times. Depends on the trail. Much like what you deal with un the UP, some can be easy and some aren't as easy. Maybe someday I'll get back to MI to explore. Still, have a lot to see out west though.

campfire likes this.
  16. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    Back to the trip.

We went to bed in the dark and as my normal schedule goes I get up in the dark. It's one of those things that you can't switch off in a day or so. I manage to sneak out of the upper bunk with ninja like stealth so as not to wake up the boy in the lower bunk. Who am I kidding, like any twenty-something he can sleep through anything including his gorilla like Dad lumbering off the upper bunk. I grab a can of V8 out of the fridge for an eye opener and head outside. The sun is just peeking over the horizon through the pine trees. I grab a chair and my phone and get ready for the show. It's amazing how relaxing it is to sit alone in the forest and watch the sun come up through a meadow.

As the sun crept higher, the other Dad in our group sneaks out of his camper to fire up the campstove for some coffee. I surprised Ron when I came around my truck as he thought he was the only one up. We chilled for a little bit and were checking out the surroundings we couldn't see when we stopped that night.

This was the last bit we climbed up the night before stopping.

Morning in camp.

Both boys eventually made their way out of the campers and we started to pack up the trucks and get on the move again. As I suspected the night before we weren't far from Buckeye lake and the state line. It was probably only 10 minutes down the trail to the lake.
    Open range area too. Many a future burger wandering around here.
    One decided to take an early morning dip in the water. It looked cold to me.

Passing by the lake and the campgrounds (which looked pretty nice BTW) we pressed on for the state line. We finally made it into Utah.

Shortly after crossing the line you are made very well aware that the land the trail drives through is private. No hunting signs are on almost every tree near the trail. It's low foothills and we are switching between trees and open meadows for a while until the trail turns due south. La Sal mountain is in sight clearly and we are on the watch for the turn to make off the Rimrocker.

The southern view stretches on forever, devoid of peaks. But if you looked east you could still just barely make out the shadows of the San Juans back in Colorado from here.

We make the turn for the trail over La Sal pass and start working our way northwest. By this point the trail is still Subaru easy and we had seen a few 5th wheel trailers and other RV's set up for early hunting camps. The view is very familiar to me as it's like many of the mountain trails we run back home.

The trail starts getting more rocky. We've been climbing/gaining elevation but still nothing radical. Just a constant pull up.

One thing we both noticed through here is the groves of aspens we are driving through are thick. Not uncommon to see but the size of the aspens were huge compared to what I've seen all over Colorado. Big trunks and towering well above any I remember seen back home. Near the top the trail changes quickly. Way more rocky and really tight with trees and brush. There was no signage to indicate the summit of the pass road, one just notices the trail starts going down. The steepness is much more than we had on the climb up. Up to this point we had stayed in 2wd as anything more wasn't needed. But as steep as it was, I felt more comfortable going to 4 low and locking the hubs in for the added stability and gearing.

After winding down through the tight foilage the trail opens up to clearing across the mountain face on a pile of rocks. The trail goes across here and it's nothing but loose rip rap rocks that move quite easy under our tires. It's also the first vantage point where we can see the town of Moab straight ahead.

I'm halfway across this section when I spy a bright red JK Wrangler coming up the trail as we are coming at them. He sees us and directly proceeds to back up to find a spot to let us pass. Thank goodness he did as it would have been a major pain to back up that stuff and there was no wide spot behind us to back into anyway.

GWeakland620, max 02, Rush4x4 and 6 others like this.
  17. campfire

Build(s):
    Hahaha! :rotfl:

Meh. All our elevation gradients are under water or hidden by trees. So there's lots more scenery out West. Lots more public land, too.

I, too, have a lot to see out west. Someday, someday...

18. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    Yep elevation makes it fun. Nothing quite like being on the top of a mountain at 13,000 feet. The views are amazing. Or sitting in a canyon with the walls reaching up a 1000 feet or more on either side. But just being outside away from everything is the main goal. I could find the just about any terrain fun as long as it's remote.

campfire likes this.
  19. mrk5

Build(s):
    Do you think Rim Rocker could be done in a day?

ZooMad75 likes this.
  20. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    But I didn't think that the point of getting out and seeing the country, was to get it done quickly and get back to the BS of regular life!
    :D

ZooMad75, imiceman44 and campfire like this.